diesel passat 2002 - intermittent starting problem.

I use the car about once every 3 or 4 days and it starts fine from cold but having driven around for half an hour or so, then parked the car for an half an hour, turning the ignition lights up the dash and all indicators but no starter motor. This can happen up to 5 times before the starter motor breaks into life and all is well. The computer is reminding me via a warning beep that my service is overdue but the car was in that state prior to its last service without this particular hitch.

In fact, the problem had been intermittent but now seems to be a developing, more serious condition.

Does this sound like a familiar problem to anyone? A possible off-the-cuff diagnosis?

most grateful for any insights - bob

Reply to
bob

Drop into TDIClub

They have a forum just for Passats and the forum is full of very competent and knowledgable owners.

Todd

Reply to
racertod

- many thanks, I'll try that...