Diesel Tune-up

Hello all, I'm new to this group. I have just purchased my first watercooled volkswagen, a 1981 diesel rabbit truck. It runs like a top, but it is really hard to start requiring ether everytime. I've got a Bentley and it points to the pump injector for initial inspection and adjustment. I just wanted some tips for what to look out for and anything else I can check/replace/service in the name of an easier start.

THANKS!

Reply to
kieran.mclaury

First off, stop using ether. As I understand, ether can do a lot of damage to a diesel engine. If you are having starting problems, inspect the following:

  1. Glow plug system
  2. Battery
  3. Motor oil, if it is too cold for the viscosity of oil in your car.

Personally, I'd first look at your glow plug system. Make sure that all of your glow plugs are good and that they are getting power when you have the car in the "on" position (where the glow light comes on).

-Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Replace your glow plugs. Just two out the four not working will make it very difficult to start. Also make sure that your glow plugs are getting electricity (check the relay, inline fuses, etc...).

BTW, dont use ether with on a diesel with glow plugs ! You can get a backfire in your face !

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

High mileage is also a factor. Mine have gotten cranky after 200,000 -

250,000 miles, even with functioning glow plugs. Using a block heater helped for another 100,000.

And have you verified when the timing belt was replaced?

Just got back from survey> > Hello all, I'm new to this group. I have just purchased my first

Reply to
Jack

Have the compression tested, in addition to what others have mentioned. When compression starts to go, diesels will be hard to start, and with an engine that old, it might just be a fact of life you're going to have to live with.

Reply to
Brian Running

I would think that, assuming it is cranking at a normal speed, your most likely problem with a 1981 (high mileage?) truck is going to be low compression. Above freezing, it should be able to start reliably without any functional glow plugs. On my 2002 TDI the glow plugs do not even activate above 40º F.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

likely problem with a 1981 (high mileage?) truck is

reliably without any functional glow plugs. On my 2002

When I lost two glow plugs on my 82 rabbit diesel (not TDI !), it was very hard to start at 80 F outside. It took several minutes of cranking to get it going. Replacing the two bad glow plugs (actually I replaced all 4) brought things right back to normal.

Diesel engine combustion technology has greatly improved in the last 20 years, especially in precombustion chamber technology.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

My '85 diesel never lit the glow plugs, except momentarily, when the temp was above 40-50 F. Always started easily without the plugs then, until it got very high miles and lost compression in a couple cylinders. If a couple of cylinders start to go, it'll blow blue clouds of unburned fuel when you're cranking it and just after it first fires, which is what it'll do in the cold if your glow plugs are shot.

Reply to
Brian Running

Does the glow plug light function? If so.......... Make sure the glow plugs function...........or just replace them all. Gear Wrenches work well. ;-) Make sure the shut off solenoid on the fuel pump/distributor does not leak and allow the fuel to drain back to the tank and out of the fuel pump/distributor. Yeah check the engine compression also.....which will require some specific tools.

And are you using the cable to advance the fuel pump/distributor by pulling the cable out? This usually makes starting the diesel easier.

I think VW used to recommend using 1/2 gallon of gasoline with a diesel fill up in very cold climates. Where are you?

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Gah, like living on the very edge of life? Stop (STOP) using ether! It can and will destroy a diesel engine that uses glowplugs.

Ah, glowplugs...

Are yours working correctly? What tests have you done on them to determine they are working?

Reply to
PeterD

Not blue, blue is oil leaking by the rings.

Unburned fuel is white in color, and has a very distinctive smell (it smells just like raw diesel fuel--sniff your hands after refueling!)

Reply to
PeterD

there's also wintertime fuel stabilant available as an additive for when it's cold...prevents gelling of the diesel fuel.

Reply to
Matt B.

Actually I saw a can of starting fluid the other day that claimed it was good for All gas AND diesel engines except those built to 2007 specs. Guess because of the new fuel.

Reply to
Dave

Try again: They say that because:

  1. It lets them sell more product, and
  2. It is virtually impossible to recover anything from them *when* (notice: not if, but when) your engine blows up.

In short: do you trust the makers of diesel engines (who all say don't do it) or the makers of spray ether (who simply want to sell their product?)

Reply to
PeterD

No, sorry, it's blue. If it's white, it's coolant leaking past a blown head gasket.

Reply to
Brian Running

Reply to
none2u