Diesel VW's US vs. Europe

The US Passat diesels will be similar, with a 2 litre TDI, but are automatic only. In Europe they are sold manual and auto.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

Drove a rental Passat diesel in Europe last year, and was amazed and impressed with quietness and get up and go.

Are the new Passat diesels coming to the US going to be noticeably different that the one I drove in Europe? I understand that our diesel fuel isn't as good as that pumped in Europe. How does that affect drivability - if at all?

Thanks! DS

Reply to
DFS

The US fuel is scheduled for a clean up (at least partial) if the oil and trucking companies don't block it.

There are several engines available in Europe that are not available here at least until the fuel issue is resolved. They seem to have been able to bring one of those engines in. The others will have to wait.

I don't believe there will be any durability issues due to fuel.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Go to

and meet up with some of us die- hard diesel owners. There's more information there then you most likely will want to read!

JoBo

99.5 jetta tdi past 96 passat wagon tdi
Reply to
Jo Bo

i rented a new Polo 1.4 petrol and it sounded louder than my g/f's dad's new passat sports diesel (forget what engine).

Reply to
Joe

sorry i live in the UK by the way, don't EVER drive in spain or any other european country apart from the UK without excess waiver :-|

DANGEROUS drivers.

Reply to
Joe

I found German, French (with the exception of Parisians) and Swiss drivers to be quite reasonable, Italian and Greek drivers however are nutso.

Tourist from Canada

Reply to
TBG

Maybe you should give it a try und drive on the right hand side of the road in these countries. That might make things a lot easier!

SCNR, Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Wenzel

||sorry i live in the UK by the way, don't EVER drive in spain or any other ||european country apart from the UK without excess waiver :-| || ||DANGEROUS drivers.

I just got back from france. Put about 1000 KM on a Renault Scenic turbo diesel. I thought the drivers were fine, certainly better than here in the Dallas area. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

sorry i miss wrote the post, i have driven in france, belgium and spain. Found the spanish the worst

Reply to
Joe

well you would probably think that coming from America :) sorry but i still believe us Brits are the safest drivers in the world. We do after all have the best Health And Safety standards.

Reply to
Joe

This post is about US vs European Diesels, not about who are the better or worse drivers. Let's get back on track and answer DS's original question.

Thanx, Steve

"Fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy night!"--Bette Davis in "All About Eve"

Reply to
Oeberon

People in Dallas and Atlanta HAUL ASS! Doing over 100 mph there is no big deal.

Reply to
Numan