Do the new 2.0L motors ever stop using oil?

Hello everyone

As you may or may not know, we bought a new VW Golf CL near Christmas time

2003. It's done around 2500kms so far (two big highway trips from Toronto to North Bay and back, plus some commuting work in the GTA for a week, but mostly my fathers 2-3km's a day). It has used over a litre of oil so far. My father is concerned that they never told him it would use oil, because he could have gotten stuck somwhere with an oil light on... Also does the 2.0 ever stop burning oil?.... At least it isn't blowing embarrasing blue smoke.

BTW the dealer told him it was normal over the phone, he is going in person tomorrow.

My 1999.5 TDI doesn't use a drop of oil between changes (and with the price of synthetic I think i'd go broke if it did).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Our 02 Jetta (also 2.0) has this same "normal" oil issue. It has remained constant since new, and now has about 40,000 miles on it. As I have posted before, it may be "normal", but was never normal on any of the other VW's I owned, including 2 2.0's that didn't burn a drop even when closing on 150,000 miles.

So...in my experience, the answer to your question is NO!

Reply to
Tony Bad

My 2.0 Golf, a bit over a year old now, used oil almost that fast when new. I was upset when I heard that VW considers a quart (litre) per 1000 miles (1600 km) to be acceptable.

The good news is that the oil consumption has greatly decreased and it will have used only a little over a quart between the 10,000 and 20,000 mile services. That is acceptable to _ME_.

The 2 or 3 km per day is not good treatment for any car, IMO. My shortest run is about 10 km, and usually more than that.

Reply to
R J Carpenter

Well he works a bit too far away to walk, but driving is bad for the car (tho our old 1991 Golf had no problems, minus frequent batteries and exhaust holes... he drives the new car much more then he ever drove the old one, per month). He knows it's not that great for the car, so he will trade me for my TDI for a week while I get his 2.0 so I can give it a good long distance commute once and a while. He is now using the Golf instead of his Volvo wagon for long trips that don't need the extra space the Volvo has.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Mine uses no oil at all (except for the oil changes at 5,000 miles of course!)

Reply to
Sherlock

My only suggestions would be use an oil with the last number 40. example 5w-40. This will/might help.

VW has followed the world trend in thinner oils for power and economy as well as low tension oil rings for the same reason.

VW stating that they consider 1 litre per 1000 kilometers as 'normal consumption' shows their blatant ignorance or IMHO ,choice to lie about the real reasons.

These high burning motors will experience premature Cat failure and most probably O2 sensors failure as well ,so at least make sure your 'complaints' are on file.

Reply to
David