do turbo beetles have spoilers ?

I was having some work done on my '00 Jette and was given a

1.8t (new) beetle as a loaner. I noticed that when I got going (45 mph ?), I heard an electric motor adjusting something at the rear of the car, and the same noise when I slowed down.

What was this ? A spoiler that comes out at highway speeds ?

dv

Reply to
Drew Volpe

Yep. Kinda like the Corrado. It's above the rear window.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Some do, not all.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Early ones wouldn't go up until 90mph but was changed about 2001.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Which ones do not? Turbo S?

TOE

Reply to
TOE

GL 2.0L No GL TDI No GL 1.8T Yes GLS 2.0L No GLS TDI Yes GLS 1.8T Yes GLX 1.8T Yes TURBO S Yes

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The TDI is a turbo. T=Turbo.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

There is a hidden switch under the dash to raise and lower the spoiler.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

TDIs do not have a spoiler.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Nice save! He was speaking of Turbo Beetles, not Beetles with turbos. It's a common way to separate it from the TDI Beetles and the 2.0 Beetles. But I see what you mean.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask... what is the Irish Math equation?

Thanks, TOE

Reply to
TOE

No. Could you expain the difference between Turbo Beetles and Beetles with turbos?

26 Counties of the Republic (The South) and 6 Counties of the North equal one whole country, people and island as it was before the English.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sure. The Beetle (as you know) has 3 engines, the Turbo, the TDI and the 2.0L. This is how most VW folks refer to them. Most people don't refer to the TDI as the Turbo Beetle. Certainly the TDI has a consequential turbo, but we refer to that car as the TDI. If you went to a dealership and asked to see their Turbo Beetles, they wouldn't direct you to the TDI's, but rather the 1.8T, which everyone refer's to as the "Turbo Beetle". So when the post came in referring to the "Turbo Beetles", he was almost surely referring to any "Turbo Beetle" or those with the 1.8L Turbo engine.

Thanks for the info on the Irish thing... that's been puzzling me for a while.

TOE

Reply to
TOE

Must have been a newer one. Our 2000 model doesn't come out until about 90 mph.

|> What was this ? A spoiler that comes out at highway speeds ? |>

|> dv |>

|> -- |> -------------------------------------------------------------------------- |> The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the |> center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South |> Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South |> End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End. |>

|> Drew Volpe, mylastname at hcs o harvard o edu | |

Reply to
Rex B