Does the corrosion warranty cover lost paint?

Well.... it's a sad day for Volkswagen when my Golf gets stricken by Chrysler syndrome on the paintwork. (In the early 90's Chrysler products were afflicted with paint that had poor adhesion to metal and would come off the car)

I was washing my car at a coin-op carwash (touch free, you shoot it with pressurized water, so perfectly acceptable for any paint finish) and paint flew off my fender exposing a larger section of galvanized metal, and a smaller section of corroded metal.

Does the 12 year corrosion warranty cover this? It's a 99.5 Golf TDI.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

leave the paint off and it will :)

Sorry to hear but since paint in and of itself is to protect the metal by covering it, I'd say it should be covered. What VW would like to say though I don't know. I wouldn't bother telling them how it happened...just tell VW that it's rusting (which it is).

Reply to
Matt B.

I'll bet the warrantee only covers rust holes not surface rust. I might suggest that depending on the age of the car, the paint may wall be considered defective and covered under the general warrantee.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Rob, I had some work done on my 95 (6 year, no mileage limit rust through warranty) by VW. They covered me and I was the 4th owner!

What they said then was that the corrosion had to be coming from the inside (bubbles mostly). If the corrosion was surface corrosion then you were on your own. Contact your dealer right away.

Dave

Reply to
David Cotie

My '83 GTI had a rust through warranty which I purchased at additional cost. When it rusted through by the wipers I brought it in and was told it wasn't covered because they "couldn't rustproof it there". In other words, it was covered against rust through - except anywhere where it rusted through. Needless to say ... I have never purchased another rust through warranty.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

I have to disagree with this statement. How close was the nozzle to the paint? Because a pressure washer, even a cheap one will strip paint off cars, fences, decks, oh and strip SKIN off fingers. Its a really powerful device, and you should follow the directions to the letter, even add a extra foot when using it just in case!

Reply to
Mike Robinson

Dropped by the dealer on the way home.

Not covered - paint is 2 years

Corrosion covers rust that happens from behind, their test is to prod the rust, and if something goes thru it they will fix it.... how nice!

The dealer tech said it shouldn't cost me more then $250 to have it professionally repaired, and that Satin Silver fades very little so it will match up nearly perfectly.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Coin-op carwashes never have enough poop to damage paint this severely. If they did, the owners would be constantly sued by idiots inadvertently damaging their paint. The owners see another advantage to the low pressure spray: customers must spend two rolls of quarters to get all the damn soap off!

Reply to
Kent