Door lock cylinders ( '95 Passat)

I've about worn out the driver's side lock cylinder in my '95 Passat, but the passenger side is fine. Can ten lock cylinders be swapped out from side to side? Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

what do new door handle lock cylinders cost at the dealer? $15 or less maybe? I vote you buy a new one! ;-) should be swapable once you take them out of the handle. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I wouldn't worry because crap will be more expensive than that...

Reply to
al

Well if they are that cheap, sure, I'll buy one. I expected it to be MUCH more expen$ive.

!

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

If there was a redesign to make the hook on the mechanism more beefy, then you would need a few more parts. Even so, the parts are not very expensive.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

And what about keying it? Since I rarely use the passenger side lock , it should still be OK, and I won;t care about having to jiggle the key to open it....so are they interchangeable, side to side?

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

well if the dealer's parts guy likes you he might set the tumblers in it for you. ;-) Or they can install new tumblers in it for around $12 or so. I usually just use the old ones and do it myself over a table replacing one at a time. Watch out for the springs that can pop out. AFAIK the lock is interchangeable but of course the handles might not. Don't forget to lube things up some too. Illustration of door handle here

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks!

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

A little more step by step, and a lot more wordy, but for a '95 Jetta.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

Cheap me, decided to try and swap them side to side, since I rarely use ten passenger side.

Not only did I find they are NOT interchangeable from left to right, but one of the springs broke ( for ten fork like piece on ten back), I got solvent all over ten door trying to clean out the old grease and crap, and I wasted about an hour only to have to buy ten cylinder AND a spring anyway.

Sometimes be>what do new door handle lock cylinders cost at the dealer? $15 or less >maybe?

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

Now on that note........................

Oil Change instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change. 2) Drink a cup of coffee. 3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent: Oil Change $20.00 Coffee $1.00 Total $21.00 ==========================================================

Oil Change instructions for Men: 1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for >$50.00. 2) Stop by 7 - 11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive >home. 3) Open a beer and drink it. 4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands. 5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car. 6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it. 7) Place drain pan under engine. 8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench. 9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug. 11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss. 12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil. 13) Have! another beer while watching oil drain. 14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench. 15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter >and twist off. 16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can, to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer. 17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener. 18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back >yard instead of taking it back to Kragen to recycle. 19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18. 20) Beer? No, drank it all yesterday. 21) Walk to grocery store; buy beer. 22) Install! new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to >gasket surface. 23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine. 24) Remember drain plug from step 11. 25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan. 26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard, along with drain plug. 27) Drink beer. 28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily dirt into hole. Steal sand from the neighbor kids sandbox to cleverly cover oily patch of >ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas. 29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw >kitty litter on oil spill. 30) Drink beer. 31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily >rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wre! nch tightening >drain plug and bang knuckles on frame. 32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31. 33) Begin cussing fit. 34) Throw stupid crescent wrench. 35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy. 36) Drink Beer. 37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required t o stop blood >flow. 38) Drink Beer. 39) Drink Beer. 40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil. 41) Drink Beer. 42) Lower car from jack stands. 43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil. 44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during steps 23 - 43. 45) Drink Beer. 46) Test drive car. 47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence. 48) Car gets impounded. 49) Call loving wife, make bail. 50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard. Drive Home !!! 51) Total Time involved 42 Hours

Money spent: Parts................. $50.00 DUI............... $2500.00 Impound fee... $75.00 Bail............... $1500.00 Beer................. $40.00 Total. - - - - $4,165.00

But you know the job was done right!

SEND THIS TO WOMEN WHO NEED A LAUGH...... AND TO MEN YOU THINK CAN HANDLE IT.....

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1