dragging front brakes on 99 Passat 1.8 Wagon

I recently purchased this vehicle from a private individual. I took it in a few weeks ago to have studded snow tires installed on it. While it was up on the rack with all four wheels off, I walked around it and looked at the brake pads. The rears look nearly new. The fronts, however, are almost gone. I also noticed that it was impossible to turn the front rotors by hand. The front rotors were deeply grooved and quite hot (it's a short drive to the tire place with only a couple of stops). Even with the tires still on, I was unable to rotate the front wheels.

The car doesn't pull to either side, but it decelerates faster than I'd expect when I take my foot off the gas. Does this sound like I need to replace my calipers? Or is it going to be some sort of esoteric valve in the system somewhere? I don't want to pay for new calipers if I dont' need them.

McQ

Reply to
McQ

It may not be bad calipers. Someone may have replaced the pads at some point without turning back the cylinders fully. But it depends on the specific brand and type of calipers you have.

Have you tried loosening the bleeder bolt and see if the cylinders release?

And you may have a clogged check-valve. Nothing esoteric about it.

Could be also that at some point the master cylinder was replaced with the incorrect one, or with a critical spacer left out (or the incorrect one installed). The brake pedal shaft may not retract fully allowing the check-valve to function properly. Make sure this is correct as well.

And, the vacuum booster may be wonky, putting a constant light pressure on the brakes. You did state that the rear calipers are OK, however?

When is the last time (to your knowledge) that the brake fluid was flushed. If they release from the bleeder valve, then you should find a shop with a power-bleeder and see if they can clean out your system as part of a flush. This may cure it. And as you have to replace the pads anyway (assuming they get the calipers to release), you are not 'out' anything in any case. If, ultimately, they cannot get the calipers to release and the are not the type that turns back, yes, you need calipers.

Check the master cylinder as correct, also check the brake-pedal adjustment if necessary and possible. Replace the worn-out pads and flush the system.

If this does not cure it, be prepared to bite the bullet.

Three things I never complain about when doing the maintenance: Brakes; Steering & Suspension; Tires. Of all the systems in your vehicle(s) it is these three in which you and yours trust your lives every moment you are rolling.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Peter --

Thanks for the clear and articulate explanation. I ordered the factory manuals on CD last night, and will brave the cold and start working through the steps your suggest as soon as it arrives.

Cheers, McQ

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
McQ

Start with the basics and easy diag stuff first

1-open the caliper bleeders on the front and if the wheels turn easy then the problem isn't the caliper. 2- if no change 3-remove the calipers and push pistons back- they should go easy, if not then you got caliper issues. 4- could be as easy as the pads are rusted in the caliper frame bracket. 5- suggest since you need pads and rotors... do them and recheck.
Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

It may not be bad calipers. Someone may have replaced the pads at some point without turning back the cylinders fully. But it depends on the specific brand and type of calipers you have.

rears yes they must be turned in fronts no, they just push in been like that on VW's for a long, long, long time.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck