Early 2002 Passat: compatable CD changer?

I have an early production 2002 Passat wagon, made before they started including the in-dash single-disk CD player. Instead, I have a Monsoon AM/FM/casette player which is also a control head for a CD changer mounted in the cargo area.

Are there any after-market changers that are direct plugin replacements for the VW factory unit? I've seen some that can be adapted, but I'd like to avoid that hassle if possible.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Yes, it has an adapter plug, but it comes with the unit and plugs right in, according to them.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yeah, I saw that, but it also says this:

"Note: This CD changer and the included mounting hardware are not identical to the factory changer and its hardware, so it may not be possible to install it in the factory CD changer location."

On the wagon, there's a compartment in the rear with mounting rails, etc. where the changer is expected to be mounted, and if it won't bolt in, that's not too nice.

Anybody know?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Panasonic CX-DP610. Requires a couple of brackets (from VW for about $15-$20). Bolted right in and plugged in no problem. I have a 2001 B5 GLX wagon. I bought mine from Logjam Electronics, about $225, 2 years ago.

I have an early production 2002 Passat wagon, made before they> started including the in-dash single-disk CD player. Instead, I have> a Monsoon AM/FM/cassette player which is also a control head for a> CD changer mounted in the cargo area.>

Reply to
John H

Price included the adapter cable ($30) It was my understanding that this model was the same one VW sold as "factory", with just the VW logo and connector being different. John

Reply to
John H