ECM & 1996 Jetta

I buy a spare ECM for my Jetta, I wanted to test it and see if it works, anything speical I should know? a mechnic told my friend on his honda if he changed the computer he would need to have it resync to an immolizer? not sure if this is the case on a honda or that guy was blowing smoke up my friends butt... any idea if i can just unplug the current ecm and plug this one in? or do I need to do something speical?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

Your 'key' communicates with the ecu to see if they match. So a different ecu won't work. You need to follow the procedure on this site to get it working:

SFC

"Lee" schreef in bericht news:5rZ%d.3$ snipped-for-privacy@newshog.newsread.com...

Reply to
SFC

so this is it?

ECU Swapping with Immobilizer 2 Posted 24 Jun. 2003

Ross-Tech is not responsible for any damage or problems that may result from following these instructions. They are to be used at your own risk.

Immobilizer II:

The immobilizer will prevent the car from running without a matching key microchip. There is a symbol in the instrument cluster showing a key inside a car. If a new (or different ECU) is installed in the vehicle, the immobilizer will prevent the car from running and will cause the symbol to flash. Here is the procedure to introduce a new ECU to the instrument cluster. This must be performed each time ECU's are exchanged. This does not apply to installing a "chip" in the same ECU that is already aligned with the car.

Immo-3 knows your car's VIN. Access 17-Instruments (or separate

25-Immobilizer on vehicles that are set up that way) and look at the first "Extra" field.

If you see something like: "Immo-ID VWZ7Z0W0648696" You've got Immo-2 (or maybe even Immo-1 in earlier non-US models).

If you see something like "WVZKB58001H231169 VWZ7Z0W0648696" You've got Immo-3. The first 17-digit string is the VIN. The second 14-digit string in the Immo-ID.

1.. Install the new ECU in the car [Select] [17 - Instruments] [Adaptation - 10] Leave channel at "00" [Read] [Save]

2.. [Done, Go Back]

[Close Controller, Go Back - 06] [Exit]

3.. Turn ignition OFF for 15 seconds. Start vehicle.

Reply to
Lee
96 doesn't have an immobilizer. So it's plug and pray!
Reply to
Woodchuck

you sure wood chuck? I can just unplug mine? and plug this one in with out harm?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

As long as they are the same part number.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Strange my fathers '95 (euro) has one. I don't think your going to break anything as long as they have the same partno. etc.

SFC

"Woodchuck" schreef in bericht news:9e29c$42409159$41c71396$ snipped-for-privacy@SALSGIVER.COM...

Reply to
SFC

Or should I add, not here in the USA.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Hello again, I stop by a impendent shop yesterday that only does VW. They told me that before I swap the computer that they would need to plug into my car and check the range of my Throttle body. He said if I just plug it in my car may never start again even if I unplug it and plug in the original computer. have you heard of this? is this shop for real or they trying to scare me into buying a brand new TB? Please let me know any thoughts/Ideas.

Thank You in Advance.

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

Sounds like a bunch of crap.

Reply to
Woodchuck

There is a throttle body adaptation procedure that they might be indirectly referring to but I can't find evidence that it applies to a '96 Jetta. I think it's only on newer cars. But the car wouldn't be unstartable...it'd just idle poorly until the adaptation is performed.

Reply to
Matt B.

Here's some info. Maybe it might apply to a '96 after all.

There's a way to do it w/o a vag-com though but I'm not sure of the exact details.

Reply to
Matt B.

I changed the battery in a friends Golf and it lost adaptation. It just idled poorly and stalled at intersections for half a day, then corrected itself.

Reply to
Eduardo K.