Engine code

Why?

Lost In Space/Woodchuck

How can I tell what my engine code is ?

The car is a 2002 Passat GLS 1.8T with 5 speed stick. I wish to replace my ignition coils with the Hitachi model from ECS

Carlos

The three letter code you need is either on you timing cover or stamped under the main engine cover on the head. AWM I believe.

Reply to
Madesio

Because, I wish to replace my ignition coils with the Hitachi model from ECS. They indicate different packs for different codes.

Reply to
Carlos

There's a build label, in the trunk under the floor liner, by the spare tire, on most of the VWs I've had, which shows the codes for the engine, tranny, options, etc. Your engine code will be AWD, AWW, or AWP, I believe.

Reply to
Brian Running

I had a car that was in our shop for the MIL being on. The owner installed one of them Hitachi coils which then set the MIL on. I replaced it with an OEM coil and all was well. My 2 cents, if it ain't broken don't fix it. I fit is broken use the correct parts.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Woody, I blew an OEM last November. It caused some $300 damage and nearly caught the engine on fire. Would you recommend replacing the other three ? Are you recommending against the Hitachi brand ?

Thanks, Charles

Reply to
Carlos