Engine loud & oil light blinks around turns

We had a 2001 Jetta in today with a customer complaint of " Customer states: Engine loud & oil light blinks going around turns" The problem was it was very low on oil and owner had no clue to open the hood and check the oil level! He never even opened the owners manual. Do you think VW should warranty the engine if it ever scatters????

Reply to
Woodchuck

After reading the subject I hoped it wasn't true! This must be one of the smarter drivers out there, at least he brought it in when the oil light came on. How did the oil look, was it ever changed since 2001? They should use 'Some customers will not qualify' also for the warranty, followed by a 5 minute under-the-hood test.

Reply to
Baudolino

When I bought my car (2003 Passat GLX 4Motion), the salesman included an under-hood walkthrough as part of the orientation. he showed me where the oil dipstick is, the windshield wiper tank, the power steering, battery, etc., and told me how often to check the various items. Although I'm pretty fanatic about checking these things myself, I paid attention anyway, since this is my first VW.

Perhaps sales people should do this as part of the sale of every VW; it would help buyers become aware of the routine maintenance and checkups that every driver should know how to perform. Or if not perform, at least be aware of so somebody else can perform.

By the way, this was the most extensive new car orientation I've ever been given - the salesman even showed me how to use the jack.

Reply to
4Motion

He must have been a new salesman and scared to death of losing his job.

After reading Woodchuck's post is there any more proof needed that there are some really stupid ffffing morons breathing out there, besides Crackman.

LOL!

Reply to
Peter Parker

Did he have it serviced regularly? I honestly don't think you should blame a Joe Q. Public customer for running low on oil if he (or she, if it was Jane Q. Public) has been in for oil changes at the recommended interval and brought the car in promptly when the oil light started coming on. A lot of the non-car-people I know prefer not to be opening the hood, ever, and it seems rather unreasonable to expect someone with a virtually new car to be checking the dipstick oil level regularly. If we were talking about a 1991 Jetta, I'd say it would be pretty reasonable to expect someone driving that car--whether an enthusiast or not--to keep an eye on the oil level, but a 2001 model year car shouldn't run below spec on oil if the oil is being changed on schedule.

Reply to
Kevin 'Sparty' Broderick

Agreed. If the car has been regularly serviced according to the schedule, then the owner did their part. If it was and the oil was still that low, it's either leaking or burning out and in either case on a late model car that's likely a defect somewhere causing that.

But if the owner hasn't been sticking to the maintenance schedule and the warranty says that it must be followed for the warranty to be valid, then yeah...all bets are off and they're screwed for not properly maintaining the vehicle.

Reply to
Matt B.

Well he came in for the FREE 5000, 10000, 20000 mile services but we(the dealer) recommends they change the oil at 15,000 which isn't FREE but would cost $29.95. A close look at the car and you can tell he doesn't care as the car was a "pig pen" inside and out. And the best thing is if it blows up he may get another FREE engine...

Reply to
Woodchuck

How about the people who ignore the red blinking/buzzing light on the dash? I've had the pleasure of replacing a few engines because someone ignored that annoying flashing red light on the instrument cluster.

Take, for example, the lady who "ran off road and car bottomed out, drove another 1/4th mile then shut engine off", well, I'm going to be putting the new engine in starting tomarrow. About 30% of the oil pan was missing, and even before I unbolted the oil pan, I could see babit oozing out of the main bearings.

Or the "cust states oil light warning has been coming on for the last 3 weeks". Not only did I put in the oil pump, I got to explain the workings of a turbo and why they now need a new one for that Passat.

And just last week I got to put in a set of rings since the water pump failed thus all the coolant was pumped onto the pavement and the driver kept on going.... for a couple of days. Super low compression in cyclinder #1 and #2, but the head and block wasn't warped at all, surprised me.

I think all of these people have "Black Knight Syndrome". I'll bite your legs off!

Reply to
Pencilneck