Engine Temp? 110?

My 1994 Golf CL Diesel is running consistently at 110 C and I'm wondering if this is normal? I've replaced all of the thermal switches (three) that are in the RAD and water Jacket to make sure the RAD Fans are coming on (They are) I'm just wondering if 110 C is way to high? What should it run at? Do I need to yank off the water pump and check that?

Reply to
HotRod

Is that water temp or oil temp? 110C is a good oil temp, but a bit too warm for water.

nate

HotRod wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Normal is around 90 deg. or the middle of the scale...

SFC

"N8N" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

If that is water temp it is too high. You may have a defective thermostat, a head gasket problem or a radiator that is starting to clog up. My guesses are in what I believe to the the most likely first.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

it's a 94 Golf CL so I don't believe that it has an oil temp gauge just a water gauge.

I've been checking the oil and rad but haven't noticed anything in either that would indicate a head gasket problem. And I've just replaced all of the RAD sensors so they are accurate. IDEAS?

Reply to
HotRod

How do you measure the 110°C? Does your coolant temperature gauge actually have numbers on it (rather than just high and low indicators) or are you reading it from the MAF? The only temperature I can read on my '87 GTi is from the MAF, and that is the oil temperature, not the coolant temperature. My coolant temperature gauge is not calibrated in degrees.

Reply to
Randolph

The coolant temp is measured with the sensor (not the blue one) in the upper radiator flange.

SFC

"HotRod" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
SFC

When I first got the car the temp gauges and RAD fan weren't working, I replaced all three temp sensors (1 in the RAD, 2 in the water jacket by the engine) After replacing all of this I got the temp gauge and fans working however it still seems to be to hot. I'm going to try and pull the thermostat and see if that works. The temp I'm getting is from the dash gauge, remember this is a Canadian Turbo Diesel.

Reply to
HotRod