error code on 1998 beetle 2.0

Please I have an error code on my 1998 VW Beetle 2.0. says PO 341 CMP SENSOR SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE.

Can Anyone Please Tell me what this is about and how to repair it. The repair shop can only get the code to read, they said they dont know what it is.

Thanks Gerry

Reply to
Odie

Well, a brief Google suggests it's the camshaft position sensor. I can't tell you anything about fixing it. I can suggest that you use this as a screening test for repair shops--if they can't tell you what it is, try another shop until someone figures it out. Certainly a VW dealer will know what it is (please tell us that it wasn't a dealer...).

Good luck.

Mike Beede

Reply to
Mike Beede

Is the car acting funny? As in shutting off when it reaches operating temperature and not starting until it takes a few hours to cool off? Just wondering, because I just had to have that sensor replace about a month ago. It came on with now warning and the check engine light would only come on right when it shut off and stay on for a while after it started up again. I think it cost like $300 Canadian, for the part, labour and labour to put in a new rad fan, taxes incl.

I'm not sure if it might be an early warning that the sensor's going or not, but it starts to act like I mentioned above, it's probably that.

Good luck with your search.

Mark Currie

Reply to
Mark Currie

Did you end up replacing the camshaft sensor? If so, do you know where on the car the sensor is- I'm having the same problem. Thanks- Scot

Reply to
Scanicky