Escort Wheels fit A2?

Hi all, I have a 97 Ford Escort wagon coming my way, I believe it has 14" wheels.

Will they fit my 13" wheeled 87 Golf GL? I know the GTI's had 14" teardrop wheels but will the ford wheels fit? the offset work? Will my speedo be off?

Thanks

Keith

Reply to
Keith Park

If they have a 4x100 bolt pattern and proper wheel hub center, yes. But I don't know what the specs are on Escorts.

Speedo being off is not a function of the wheels. It's the tires you put on the wheels...that's the determines the total diameter of what you're rolling on.

Reply to
Matt B.

Try to keep the same diameter as you increase the wheel size. If you have 175/70/13 tires on the car now and you move up to a 14" wheel, you would use a 185/60/14 to get approximately the same height combination of tire and wheel, thus not affecting the speedometer.

175- millimeters from sidewall to sidewall (width)

70- sidewall height- this number represents percentage (the sidewall height is 70% of 175 mm in this case)

13- wheel diameter in inches

The other numbers and letters on the tire are largely related to speed capacity and load range along with the dot number which indicates (in the last four digits) when the tire was made.

If the escort does not have a 4X100 bolt pattern, it might help you to know that is a common bolt pattern for many japanese cars of similar years and wheel/tire sizes.

Hope this info elucidates...

Reply to
Ears

Yup the latter is only 0.4% larger than the former.

Use this:

Plug in numbers into there and there ya go...can compare various sizes side by side.

Reply to
Matt B.

And also check the size of the inner hub opening. VWs are hubcentric wheels...the wheel needs to sit firmly on the hub first to be centered. The bolts are *not* what centers the wheel. if the hub opening is too large, you'll then need a centering insert to fit in the wheel first and then mount the wheel on the car.

Reply to
Matt B.