ESP in a Straight Line

ESP is supposed to help correct situations where the car is turning, and begins to slip at either the front or rear: ESP brings the car back to the intended path by braking some wheels and reducing power.

Question: Does it work when the car is going in a straight line? Suppose two wheels go off the edge of the road onto grass or some other surface where the rolling resistance is higher than the road surface. The car will immediately pull off the road. Would ESP correct this by applying only the brakes on the wheels that are still on the road? Or does it require lateral g-loading as would be generated by going round a turn?

Reply to
4Motion

My understanding is it is the latter.

Look at this though

My Eurovan has this and I have gotten that thing leaning just about as far as I am willing to get it, and have had no input from the electronics. Kind of left me wondering when it kicks in!

Reply to
Tony Bad

I am not sure that sudden change in rolling resistance alone is sufficient, but once the car deviates from the straight line the steering wheel points to, I would think the induced lateral acceleration should be large enough to have the system kick in.

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed

Could have kicked in so seamlessly you just didn't notice it.... Or did you disable it with the dash button?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Sorry to hear about your mishap...life has a way of changing our plans doesn't it?

As for the ESP on the van, I am thinking it would kick in when the vehicle has either approached or exceeded its normal handling limits. As you say, emergency handling is a very different thing. Sitting way up high in a big shoebox and hitting the corners hard probably makes one feel they are closer to the edge than they really are. In other words, maybe I just wasn't pushing it hard enough to engage the ESP. I need to whip it around a parking lot when it snows and see what happens...first I need to clear out all my kids crap so it doesn't sound like a huge rattle when I toss it around a bit!

Reply to
Tony Bad

In the steering wheel, there is an angle sensor, and in the frame there is a yaw sensor. Technically, the values from both sensors should always equall each other. When there is a major deviation from the yaw sensor to the steering wheel angle sensor, the ESP starts braking individual wheels to have the vehicle pivot on it's axis.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

So my theory of little elves guiding me out of trouble is way off?

Reply to
Tony Bad

Last winter I tried this in my Passat GLX 4Motion with ESP. The car slid slightly, but I never saw the ESP dash light illuminate.

Reply to
4Motion

They're there...but they only work when ESP is turned off!

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Yes, and you can read some details in the link I provided JD a couple of days ago. Of course it is a bit more complicated since the system has to compare acceleration (rate of change of direction), which depends on the speed. Also, the system does not know how good your traction is before it applies the corrective measures, so its feedback loop must be finely tuned, indeed.

From the diagrams you can see it makes the reasonable assumption that, because of static and dynamic load, the outside front wheel has the best traction and usually can be used as the main pivot point.

- D.

TransFixed

Reply to