Euro Switch Question

I have replaced by headlamp switch with a Euro version. So far so good. I can now operate my fog lamps without the head lamps. For those who have never noticed the need for fog lamps is due to the reflection off the fog from the headlamps, the low fog lamps tend to reflect much less do to the angle. Getting the headlamps off eliminates all that reflections so you can see much better.) The instructions for the changeout included a note to remove the #173 headlamp relay.

I followed the instructions and all is working as expected. However, I would like the return of my DRL's. I am guessing that the #173 relay's function was to turn on the headlamps at the reduced output when the ignition is on and the parking brake is off.

Now the question. If I keep the Euro switch and replace the #173 relay where it was, will I regain the use of the DRL's without blowing any fuses or doing any damage?

If I had a complete wiring diagram I could figure it out, but all I have is a Bentley CD and it does not have the Euro Switch information nor is it easy to follow the wiring diagram. An 8 foot by 8 foot paper wiring diagram would be nice. ;-)

Thanks

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yup, just plug it in. I have it that way. You'll get DRLs when the switch is off, but they'll go out when in the parking-light position, so you can run just the fogs as you desire. Depending on the car, you may also have lost the parking-brake indicator light when pulling the relay, so you'll have that back as well.

This setup is a little clunky, in that if you are going down the road on DRLs and decide you want full headlights, you have to switch through that middle position resulting in a momentary blink-off to oncoming drivers. I just try to rotate the switch as fast as possible, to avoid sending any confusing messages.

Your next advance would be to get some Euro-spec (Ecode) headlights. Minimal upward scatter and stronger foreground illumination than the DOT ones make them very good in foul weather. For pea-soup fog, though, probably just the foglights are the best bet even in that case.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hackett

If it's anything like my Eurovan, the Euroswitch plays just fine with DRLs. Off = DRLs, parking lamps = parking lamps and no DRLs, on = normal headlamps.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Where did you get the Euro Switch? I have been looking for one for a while for our New Beetle....

- Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

They had been out and just got a shipment within the last week.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sorry to say it did not work that way with me. I replaced the relay and hoped it would restore the DRLs, but no I still did not have DRLs. A relay somewhere was clicking, but that's all, not function. I removed it again and things were back as before without the relay, so it appears no damage was done, with the possible exception of the DRL circuit, which I am not likely to be using since I can't have it both ways.

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

So did you see if your DRLs worked with the original switch as a sanity check?

What is the car? I'm only familiar with the Golf/Jetta switch. The DRLs are fed by a pin on the switch labeled TFL (this is another way to disable DRLs, bend or tape that pin over, or otherwise disconnect it). There should be continuity between the pins labeled Xz and TFL when the switch is in the Off position. I suppose it is possible the switch you got doesn't provide the DRL connection.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hackett

The DRL's were working before I replaced the original switch about a week ago. I have not tried the original switch since then.

It's a 2002 NB TDI. It should have the same switch, but who knows.

Thanks for that information. I will take a look at my Bentley manual and see if I can find enough of a wiring diagram to figure it out. Your information should help.

Thanks

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Time for a dope slap. After printing out all the associated pages of the circuit diagrams and reading them over, I could not see any reason why it was not working as I had hoped and expected and you had suggested. So I went back and replaced the relay again. At first I had no success. Then sitting there in the drivers seat I realized I still had the emergency brake on. OK it all works as I had hoped.

I can now drive with DRL, normal headlamps or position/parking lamps with or without fog lamps.

Thanks. Without your encouragement I would have given up.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan