Even Jettas Have Limits

I have used and abused my Jetta for many things, some I won't admit to. But never for 3000 lbs of construction materials:

Reply to
timeOday

Are people honestly that stupid? I wouldn't want to tow that load on a trailer to our Volvo wagon... let alone my Golf (what a sight that would be... tho I did see a Golf towing a pop up trailer before, those aren't that light)... Well if the trailer was braked properly maybe with the Volvo, it's got a 6-cylinder engine... but a 2,0L Jetta, would that thing even move? I'd be afraid of burning the clutch out trying to get it started on a flat road, let alone if I had to do it on a hill.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

gawd not this one again...

Reply to
Matt B.

I saw someone towing a single-horse trailer behind a late 80s Mitsubishi. Couldn't make the model exactly, but it looked like a Galant. The trailer was empty, but even so, the rear bumper was nearly touching the ground and the car seemed nearly ready to explode from the effort just going about 30 MPH. The

1.8T has plenty of power to move my car (180Hp in my 2002 GTi) but I wouldn't want to try to tow anything with it. I notice that someone near me has a tow-hitch installed on their W8 Passat wagon, I wonder if they've ever tried to use it...I guess of all the VW sedans/wagons, the W8 is probably the least likely to have any towing ability. Steve Grauman
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Wasn't this photo around several years ago. I still don't believe it.

Reply to
DriveSpy

Wait, wait, wait. A Passat with a W8 motor in it?

[quote] > I guess of all the VW sedans/wagons, the W8 is probably the least > likely to have any towing ability. > Steve Grauman [/quote]

Did you really mean to type the word LEAST in that way?

TBerk perplexed

It was, and after a stint working at a Home Depot not so long ago, and witnessing firsthand the loads people want to put in (or on top of) their vehicles, I became a convert to the likelihood that this is 100% real. One time, a 20-something dude in a toy SUV had me load his lumber, then asked for 20 bags of concrete. I politely did the simple math and told him that would be 1600 POUNDS, in addition to what was already loaded on there. He decided to come back later for the concrete.

I was always amazed at how many people would ask *me* what the load capacity of *their* vehicle is.

Sometimes, they would wonder if *we* had the ability to load everything they wanted. "See that car next to yours?" I'd ask. "We have enough forklifts to put that car on top of your car, if you want. The question is, do you want to drive it home like that?"

Happy new year, and may all your troubles be non-car related....

kelly

-+-

'86 Jetta GLI, 307K and counting

Reply to
Kelly Humphries

yeah wouldn't the W8 have the torque to do the job?

Reply to
Matt B.

Yeah, they were around for a couple of years in the US. 4.0L, 270 hp.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yep. '04 was the last year (no '05 W8s). I think they debuted for '02 with automatic/tip and later on ('03?) a manual transmission packaged with a sport suspension was offered. Never drove one but that'd be the one to have IMHO. Still probably no 5-series beater but a nice car nonetheless.

Reply to
Matt B.

I believe Snopes had found enough evidence that this really happened to consider it true. Every time you find yourself saying "nobody could really be *that* stupid" think of all the stupid people you know...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My father has driven a W8 wagon (his bosses)... he said it's one of the smoothest driving cars he's had the pleasure of driving... Also said it's too overpowered for Canada, and that it has no place next to BMW/M-B in terms of real luxury cars... Basically why they cancelled the car - other people found the same things, the Passat is suppose to compete with Camry's and Accords... not BMW's.

His boss bought it for the sheer fact that driv>>>

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yeah, so what's the big deal? I don't see anything abnormal here. Warm Regards, Everyone Who Lives In Florida

Reply to
jiffypop

When I bought my 89 someone had welded a hitch to it and cut a hole in the bumper cover for the ball.

I still have no idea what in the hell you'd tow with a jetta. John Boat ? Radio Flyer ?

Chris

Steve Grauman wrote:

Reply to
Chris_E

You'd be surprised what a little car can tow. Although it wasn't a jetta, my dad's VW fox had a home-made trailer hitch on it, and worked great for towing our trailer (the bed of a VW truck, with a hitch) to the dump, no matter how much we loaded it up. The best part about that trailer is that it doesn't have strut towers to break. When the load is too much, the leaf springs just sit on the bump stops. Very solid and secure. One time we needed construction supplies, and put a solid amount of lumber (not as much as that poor jetta though) on the roof rack, and filled the trailer with cement and other stuff. Worked awesome, and no permanent damage. Car and trailer were both bottomed out though.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

In europe the A2 jetta has a tow rating (trailer with brakes) of 800 to

1200kg, even 1000 to 1200kg up to 10% of road incline, depending on the engine.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

What about something like this "double cab" transporter?

I'm not sure it was ever avaliable in North America, but if it was, it looks like it'd be OK for a few loads of lumber. Albeit, not 3,000 pounds worth. Our new Touareg has a 7,300 pound tow capability, but I wouldn't try to put much on the roof. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Canada got them but the US didn't. A few have found their way here though.

Reply to
Matt B.

Two words:

Parts Car.

TBerk rear wheel drive, front fuel celled, mid engine mounted W8 powered Scirocco Mk1.

UHaul two wheel trailer or covered wagon type sled.

Camping Pop up, two motorcycles, or an oil drum based Bar-B-Q.

Any of these would be worth dragging along.

Gets really fun if the thing has it's own (electrical?) brakes system.

And in a pinch you could tow another car. (A friend of mine made an adjustable tow rig that you use by removing the towed cars front wheels and bolt the hubs to the rig.

TBerk Rodney Dangerfield - 'I bought a perfect second car ... a tow truck.'