Expected engine life- diesel Vanagon

I'm considering purchasing a diesel Vanagon. Many people say that because they are so underpowered, the engines have a much shorter life than if they were in the Rabbit, as they were originally. How many miles can I expect out of one? If I didn't get the diesel, my other choice would be air-cooled. I've had a 2.1L water-cooled Vanagon and think I need something with fewer things to go wrong.

Depends on how you drive it!

Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo

JoBo has the answer right.

If the engine is solid and I believe you would have a difficult time killing it. Even full out, it is not really a problem for it. Missing oil changes etc. is going to mean a lot more.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You might consider getting the diesel and swapping the motor for something like an Audi 2.0 liter block running gasoline.

Just a thought, TBerk

I know that people often swap out engines in the Vanagon, but I can't afford to do that financially. Whatever I get has got to last me for quite a while.

skydivertu

Obviously someone who knows little about diesels. The small VW diesels, like the MB diesels do not mind being run at near readline. IF - a big if. They are properly maintained. Oil changes a must, valve adjustments, and timing belts are all eseentials. I am speaking from experience with MB diesels but the small displacement VW diesels are known to be quite reliable if maintained.

The normally aspirated (ie non-turbo) diesel has much less power than the turbo TDI's etc , however after a few months you will have an idea of how best to pull the most HP out of your VW.

BTW, there are many many Vanagons on the road in Europe that are not local delivery vans, obviously some were, but many are being used for camping/wohnmobils etc. Speed isn't a factor but when you cruise at

100kmh (60mph) that suits most Europeans just fine, besides in most European countries gasoline is $4 plus a gallon and cars are taxed based upon the engine displacement that is why you generally only see 3.0L and above engines in luxury vehicles.

This is all moot if the previous owner wasn't religious about service.

Reply to
CMCLNSAY90

I hesitate to post again regarding my original message because I see I've started a war between two people both with very strong opinions; but I will ask a follow-up. I appreciate any advice, and will take in all opinions before making a decision, but please let's not take things too personally.

Unfortunately, aside from vanagon.com, I haven't seen a usenet newsgroup for both air-cooled and water-cooled Vanagons, and one of the things I am trying to decide is whether to buy air- or water-cooled. One of my choices other than the diesel is a 1982 air-cooled Vanagon Westfalia with no auxiliary gas heater, and apparently with factory a/c (has control knob on dash and evaporator where cabinet would be) but a/c not working now.

A brief history of my VW experience: since 16, two A1 Rabbit diesels, all the rest gas: A2 Jetta , Quantum wagon, Quantum syncro wagon, Thing, 1987 Vanagon Westfalia, 1998 Mexican air-cooled Beetle. So I have some experience with varied models.

My Vanagon has oil leaks, low compression, needs exhaust, and didn't pass emissions test. Also windshield leaks and has a few electrial issues. So it didn't seem prudent to keep putting money into it, because it's not even a pop top, which would be my ideal. So now I'm looking into any model of pop top- gas or diesel, air or water cooled. The reason I'd shy away from a gas water cooled is that I've seen or heard of so many with coolant and oil problems. But I've got used the decent horsepower from mine. I don't HAVE to have the power, but I do like to drive 65 to 70 mph on the highways while travelling to my camping destinations.

So I have narrowed my search down to a handful of choices: the diesel camper, a 1982 air-cooled 3-speed automatic, or possibly a bay window Westy. My question is how would power compare between among those engines. I have been told that the 3-speed auto in the Vanagon is about as slow as the diesel.

Thanks for any input.

The major place for vanagon question is the vanagon mailing list, not a newsgroup.

There are some yahoo groups for subsets of the Vanagon community (Syncros, subura engine conversions, etc.)

In the North American Market there were 3 (broad) groups of engines for the vanagon. The air-cooled 2.0 liter. The diesel, and the waterboxer (in 1.9 and

2.1 sizes).

Now throw in automatic transmissions versus manual transmission (4 speed in North America, except for the Syncro 4wd, which has an additional LO gear).

For durability, the automatic transmissions in Vanagons seem to be better than the manual. However the automatics aren't 4wd. :)

There are some folks (on the vanagon mailing list) that have done various engine conversions. Such as swapping out the 1.6 liter diesel for a 1.9 liter diesel, or 1.9 liter turb diesel. The 1.6 liter diesel powered Vanagon is simply slow. (slower than the air-cooled).

The 2.1 (or 1.9) waterboxer engine is faster to accerlerate the Vanagon than the aircooled or diesels, but none of these stock engines could be considered fast.

Engine conversions have their drawbacks, but the advantages are you (usually) get a faster Vanagon with a more reliable engine(compared to the waterboxer engines) (actually the 1.6 liter diesel engine is very reliable..it's just absurdly slow).

"I'm sorry, all my money is tied up in currency." W.C.Fields

Reply to
KimBrennan