Extended Warranties

There's always a lot of talk about the pros and cons of extended warranties. In that spirit, I offer my recent experience as yet another data point. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I have a 2000 Passat V6 Wagon. It is now a little more than three years old and has about 49,000 miles. I had some immediate problems - tape deck stopped working on day 2 and the AC compressor went out within a few weeks. Since then it has been generally reliable.

I took it in for several things.

The heated mirrors stopped working. No I don't keep the switch on all the time despite being told to by my salesperson. The mirror glass with the heaters on both sides needed to be replaced.

The rear wiper and washer were not operating correctly. The washer shaft around which the wiper shaft rotates, now moves with the wiper. The two shafts had become one. The wiper started working erractically stopping and starting its way across the glass from time to time. The remedy was to replace the whole wiper / washer assembly.

There was a groan from the front end when turning when the car is stationary. Diagnosis was that the groan comes from bad / dry tie rod ends and upper and lower wheel joints of some sort. Basically some diasters in the front end which I think is a bit premature in a 3 year old car. I'm told it does not have what is apparently the infamous Audi / VW suspension that needed major repairs every 40K, but it sures reads like it. Replacing these parts was the cure.

My extended warranty is covering everything except a portion of a front-end alignment, so my total out of pocket is about $40. Even paid for my rental car. I saw the write up and it totaled $1,150. So, I'm now officially even against the expense of the warranty. Peace of mind and any further repairs all come now at $0 cost to me.

As I said, your experiences may vary.

Reply to
TL

what was the factory warranty? months/years/parts of car?

2003 Passat:

4 yr or 50k bumper to bumper

5 yr or 60k limited powertrain

12 yrs. corrosion

If my 2003 Passat suffered the same maladies as your 2000 Passat, at the same age and mileage, the factory warranty would have covered 100%.

Reply to
tf

Well, of course, with a newer model an extended warranty would start in year five - some owners don't keep their cars long enough to make use of that.

The 2000, like mine, had I belive a 2year/24,000miles bumber-to-bumper, but has a 10yr/100,000 miles powertrain warranty.

My car had similar problems as the original poster's (gas tank sensor, oxygen sensor and radio replaced within first weeks of ownership under warranty). The waterpump that failed this year (3rd year, 40k miles) was covered under the powertrain warranty, but I needed to pay for the timing belt that I had them replace at the same time. My rear wiper broke off completely instead of malfunctioning slowly over time, but the parts were pretty cheap. So my out-of pocket expenses have been quite small, so far, wear items excluded (new rear brake pads and rotors, timing belt, and need new tires), and not counting 2 days for a hotel, 2 days loaner car, and a $350.00 tow bill when the water pump broke...

Some extended warranties cover towing and loaner cars - that may be worthwhile to have.

- D.

tf wrote:

Reply to
TransFixed

As another poster noted, the 2000 had a 2 yr, 24K b-t-b warranty and a

10yr, 100K powertrain warranty. My extended warranty is 7 yr / 100K on most everything not covered under the powertrain (excluding normal wear items and body stuff).

So my extended warranty kicked in at 24K which was reached before the

2 yrs. I would have liked the 4 / 50 warranty they offer now, but on the other hand, I like the 10/100K powertrain.
Reply to
TL

Shop for the warranty just like you would the car. There is a lot of options out there and the knowledge will help you drive the deal you want. Your dealer will hate it as much as they hate you knowing the actual cost for the car. ;)

Reply to
Carolina