Extended warranty

VW (US) offers an extended 10yr/100K miles warranty on Jettas. Is this warranty's coverage the same as the VW factory bumper to bumper 4yr/50K miles warranty's? If not, what are the differences? Thanks.

Reply to
TGB2153

I don't think VW "corporate" is offering the warranty -- it's coming from the dealer and underwritten by a third party. Extended warranties vary. Your best bet is to ask for a copy of the VW b-to-b warranty and a copy of the extended warranty, read them both, and ask questions about anything you don't understand or don't like.

sd

Reply to
sd

I doubt it. Since I have never seen it, I can't tell you the differences. You need to get a copy of it and then tell us. I'll bet it has exclusions and lots of them, mostly for common expensive repairs. It also may limit who does the repairs etc.

One thing for sure. It is designed to make the dealer and whoever is underwriting it money, likely over half of what you pay is going to go back to the dealer, salesman and underwriter as profit.

However if you plan on keeping your car that long and after reading the contract, (pay attention to things like bringing it in for inspections etc.) you like having the feeling that you will be less likely to face an un-expected large expense vs. a known expense, and that is worth what they are asking, then go for it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Be careful the warranty terms may require that you do all the specified maintainance found in the VW manual. The prices on these dealer services are outrageous to put it mildly. The last scheduled maintainance I had done was

30,000. I have a 95 Golf with 84,000 and it still runs great just doing the oil changes. When it fails emmission is when I will have work done. Or, if something else goes like the timing belt, head gasket, etc.

Doesn't the VW still have the 10/100,000 drivetrain warranty as part of the purchase?

My personal opinion is if it needs an extended warranty it's not worth buying. I remember when I bought my microwave and the salesman tried to sell me the extended.warranty. I stated that 1) If the product was that bad it wouldn't be sold in the store 2) If it breaks i'll throw it out and buy another. Now, if you buy a Panasonic tv, pay for the warranty. My mother had two and each needed tube/tuner repair after a year. I have a cheap Daewoo. 8 yrs same as new.

Reply to
clubface

the dealership here offered a 7yr/100k b-to-b extended warranty on our

03 Passat. covers everyth>
Reply to
Rondo

only thing that sux is the timing belt replacement isn't due till 105k.

3.5hrs book time and whole front fascia comes off.

Reply to
Rondo

western, n cali area

Reply to