Fan belts & pulleys

I have a 1988 VW Camper with a 1.7 Diesel engine.

My question is regarding fan belt adjustment. At present it has one belt from the crankshaft to the water pump and another from the water pump to the alternator. To adjust the former the water pump pulley has to be removed (Extremely awkward) and adjusted by shims. The later is adjusted as per any other fan belt by undoing the clamp bolts etc.

I have noticed that the crankshart pulley has two grooves and it seems logical to me that a single fan belt could be used which could be adjusted by the alternator adjustment.

Anybody come up against this and used a single fan belt?

Reply to
Barry