fix for front reflectors in a 96?

Hi all,

Anyone know of a decent/inexpensive fix for the relflectors falling out of the front bumper in a 96 Cabrio/Golf? These are the ones next to the front turn signals.

The design of them is such that when (not if) the small plastic clip fails the whole thing falls out. The solution, apparently, is to replace the

*entire* turn signal light assembly just to get the same clips back again. At a cost of around $100 for each side.

Is there any sort of aftermarket alternative? Or has anyone come up with a DIY hack for reattaching them?

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

1) eBay?

2) clear silicone to glue it in. Don't go crazy so you can get it out again.

3) local auto salvage yard might have one that is from a bad bumper they'd sell you, or they might be able to find one on their network.

4) one of the internet on-line sales places. (autohausaz, parts4vws, etc)

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Yeah but they're all still going to require replacing that whole assembly. It's really just a bad design, one they seem to have stopped using in later models. It's just galling to have to replace the whole thing because two tiny plastic clip sockets failed. Made even worse by having to buy a new reflector cover. At least this time I managed to notice the second one looking a little crooked and saving it before it fell out.

Ding, ding! Give that man a prize! And seeing as how I'm caulking a few windows on the house I won't even have to waste a tube. It should work with just a gob of it where the original pin clipped into the housing. The other side's a metal spring clip and not gluing it down will leave it 'less of a hassle' to get it all out again should I need to remove the assembly at some later time.

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99