fix for main catylyst bank 1 efficiency below threshold 4 vw beetle 98?

I got code P0422 - 35 -00 for my vw beetle 98 (catylyst bank 1 efficiency below threshold)

Any clues how to fix this?

Reply to
Tyro

New Catalytic Converter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

that's $600 not including labor!

damn!

Reply to
Tyro

Might be covered under an emmissions warranty...check with your dealer.

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I know in Canada convertors are covered for 10 years by law (I believe).

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Can't remember the warranty but it's either 7/70k or 8/80k! Call your dealer.

Reply to
Woodchuck
8 years

Reply to
Pete Cressman

You are correct, 8years 130Km's,

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Crowd (my first post here...yay!)

I agree with the diagnosis of a failed cat conv. I kinda gotta wonder 2 things though- see the disclaimer at the bottom.

1) The computer will only throw a code like this up if its getting too little difference between the upstream and downstream O2 sensors. Could it be that the downstream sensor is degraded and not failed ? Doubtful I know, but if you end up having to spend the money yourself, it might be worth looking in to. an OBD2 computer usually can detect if the O2 sensor is giving it an "unreasonable" signal, but if the sensor is just a little it off (dirty connection ?) maybe that'd be enough to throw the "ineffective cat. conv." code and not the "failed O2 sensor" code.

2) So if the cat has failed, why ? did it get the crappy batch of titanium out of the factory, or was the computer miss-managing things for the last XX,000 miles/km enough to ruin the thing ? Has the fuel supply for the vehicle ever been from a shady-looking old gas station ? (cats dont like leaded gasoline...)

DISCLAIMER: All of these are pure conjecture, and not very applicable at this point, but, I thought I'd mention (if only for the intellectual value)

-John

mcsjn

Reply to
G60 Johnster