FLASHING TEMP LIGHT '92 GTI

Just lately my '92 GTI 8 valve has started flashing the temperature light after about 15 minutes on the road. If I turn of the engine and re-start it seems to reset it and it stops for a while. The temperature gauge reads normal but the light flashes at a regular rate.

Any ideas what this might mean?

Thanks, David Abineri

Reply to
David Abineri

Might be a low coolant level...check the coolant level and the wiring at the bottle.

- Pete

Reply to
Peter Cressman

...and check for a crack where the sensor screws into the reservoir.

Reply to
Darryl

Usually it means the coolant is a tad low.

Reply to
Dave

Yup. And the resaon why the light stops flashing after a restart is that the engine has warmed up resulting in expanding the volume of the coolant in the system, raising the level in the reservoir enough so the sensor doesn't activate the light.

Reply to
sonodude