Free-running or Interference - Timing Belt

What kind of engine? Free-running or Interference. Wondering what kind of engine my jetta has. I broswe to this website and there is nothing about 2.0L engines

Any one know if Jetta 1999 Jetta 2.0L has running free or Interference engine?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

I would not trust any list! A 93 vw Eurovan I5 is listes as a "non interference" engine on the chart published by gates rubber co. But ask anyone that's had one brake! There is indeed a slight amount of touching. Unless the timing belt's got oil on it I would change it at vw's recommended intervals.

Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo

The 2.0 like your van will bend valves under certain conditions. It all depends on what RPM the belt left go. The solution... don't put off and replace the belt.

Reply to
Woodchuck
99 or 99.5 2.0?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Second that motion; what was originally engineered as a non-interference design can become an interference situation due to deposits on the piston crown and valve head. Why get stuck on the side of the road, anyway?

--TW

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

Are you referring to year? it is 1999, 2.0L with old body style. The manual would not give any specific mileage interval to change the timing belt. It give information on TDI engine which is due every

60,000 Miles.

I also heard that timing belt never broke they only get loose and that is why they need replacement. Another thing which makes me believe it is true that VW gives 100,000 miles warranty on all engine parts if there is any problem like for example timing belt get broke they will replace free of charge...so why they take risk and do not tell us to replace the belt????

Beside that there is nothing in manual which tell to replace that belt so I think we have wrong information here about changing timing belt excluding TDI engines. The function of timing belt is to sync timing with other movie engine components and there is no tension on the belt as compare to V-Belt, this is nother reason it would not broke but only get lose

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

Mommy says to change your timing belt unless you feel like getting stuck on the side of the road and risk catastrophic engine damage. Mommy also suggests RTFM to learn more about the valvetrain and service.

"Although no maintenence interval is specified, the publisher recomments periodic inspection of the belt, and replacement at 60,000 miles, or every 4 years. This will help prevent stripping of the belt due to streching and loosening."

93-99.5 A3 Bentley manual.

--Tundra Mommy

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

Next time I do one I will snap a picture and post it somewhere. You're correct, the belts don't break but they do get the teeth ripped off. The t-belts are tensioned by the adjustor but true they are not as tight as a typical V-belt. 2.8 V6, 1.8T, & 2.0's are covered 10yr/100,000 miles for the first owner but I would replace it at 80,000-90,000 miles just to avoid having to deal with a tow truck job and being without a car for several days. Or if you don't feel like spending the $$$ now just wait until it breaks and hope it does before your warranty expires!

When does VW want the t-belt replaced?

2.0 They don't say 2.8 V6 105,000 miles but my sticker under the hood of my 99 Passat states 75,000miles 1.8t 105,000 miles

So... the choice is drive it until it breaks while under warranty and the repair is free! Replace it a bit before the warranty expires thus saving a tow job. And everyone know cars break when you don't want them to!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Agreed! There are many other reasons to tow. I had my car towed twice one time for fuel/air filter and other time for battery replacement in last 4 years and I know it is just VW because I kept many other Japanese cars with mileage over 100,000 and never faced towing...

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

The 2.0 is a non-interference engine. A broken timing belt will leave you by the side of the road but will not do damage.

VW replaced my belt and tensioner under warranty at 99,300 miles after I heard the tensioner making noise. I now have 193,000 miles on the car and will replace the belt soon if I plan on keeping the car.

Cheers, Phil

Reply to
me

Maybe on or off topic but............. I just handled a "maintenance" service of a timing belt for a Japanese car last year. It involved changing: timing belt and idler bearing, All related seals water pump and oil pump (All of these were recommended to be changed at the same time by the dealer)

I don't know the total the owner spent since I was working at another shop. I will assume it was not cheap!! Owner had taken it to Toyota first and when they got the estimate, they brought it to my buddy's shop. Then he called me to do the work. Then the transmission started leaking in the next month. Owner was a little cross-eyed but totally unrelated to the work that was recently done.

Maybe if they had not done the maintenance at the proper time they would have faced towing and a lot more expense! My VW customers sometimes only bring in their cars AFTER something breaks. Rarely do they just bring it in for "maintenance "! lol Maybe philosophies are different! 8^o If they own a VW with an interference engine I INSIST on having them change it after XXX miles. But it is their call!

JMHO dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1