French Fry Oil in a Diesel Jetta?

A guy at work claims that he buys used french fry oil from the local greasy spoon and processes it into usuable fuel for his diesel engine.

Has anyone else heard of this?

What are the adverse effects to engine longevity and performance, if any?

Reply to
mberneche

I have heard that too, but personally don't know anyone who has actually done it. I would try it if I had a TDI, but I don't. :(

For some info, see:

-Pete

Reply to
Pete Foley

Yes, vegetable oil (new or used) can be processed into biodiesel, which is probably what he is doing. There are also kits to allow diesel engines to use plain vegetable oil (new or used) in diesel engines.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Kinda strange, but yeah, I've heard of it. Saw a show about some guys that went across the USA in a bus that they would fuel up at the local fast food joint. It's also for sale as "BioDiesel" at a local (NW USA) gas station. Interesting...

Reply to
psy

I was more common 20 or 30 years ago, but today diesels are a little more picky about their fuel, especially the turbos.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I don't know the specifics myself, but I have one friend who has been running his Rabbit on it for a couple of years now. I also have several other friends running their Dodge pick-ups on it. One of them runs a site at

that can give you some more information. I'm sure they wouldn't mind you contacting them if you have questions.

Jed

Reply to
Jed

Actually.. Some sells the Biodiesel conversion kits on ebay!!

Reply to
Firebus

I wonder if the exhaust smells any different...

Reply to
Dino

I hear that it smells like popcorn!

Reply to
Dr Funk

I emailed VW about biodiesel and the response was ok to us the European fuel, but they void your warrenty if you use Biodiesel made in the USA. They don't like the US standards.

All of the info on Biodiesel that I read said the engine runs better.

Reply to
Mike

Can someone tell me what French Fries are? I thought you guys over there didn't eat them any more...

Reply to
The Admiral

Some restaurants flipped out over the difference in opinions on the war, so they removed French fries and called them "Patriot Fries." But as with almost everything else, they quickly forgot what they were doing and went back to French fries. ... Then I realized maybe you didn't know what they were in general. Take a Potato slice it up into 1/4" square and long, then fry the heck out of it in grease. Removes all nutritional value of the potato and adds a lot of grease. See also:

Jedediah A Frey

Hey Jedediah.

Apologies for my post, I was just having a laugh about the Freedom Fries thing. Thanks for your honesty in the second part of your reply.

The name change thing... it was big news over here at the time!

Cheers

The Admiral.

Reply to
The Admiral