Fuel Enrichment Switch

I have way to much fuel in the exhaust of my 85 Vanagon. After reading the bentley manual I found it should have a 'fuel enrichment switch' that basically dumps fuel into the system at high rpms. Can this switch go bad and cause my problem? Would bypassing this switch hurt anything? And can anyone recommend where I could get a replacement switch if it is found to be faulty?

Thanks

*MYSTIC*
Reply to
*MYSTIC*

Have you replaced the oxygen sensor assuming that this is a gas pwered vehicle? The switch is nothing special. Well at least on a Rabbit or Golf. You can find them at junkyards. But I do not own a Westi so I am just guessing.

Jim Behning

air flow meter fuel pressure regulator temp sensor 2 Cat Converter

I'm running out of things that can go wrong. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
*MYSTIC*

Reply to
*MYSTIC*

Not sure of your engine nor do I know much about the Vanagons. I have way to much fuel in the exhaust of my 85 Vanagon. After reading the

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

There are testing services that will flow test and clean you injectors for about $25 a piece. Or you could buy an ultrasonic cleaner for about $150 that might help clean the injectors. I like the idea of having the injectors flow tested so you know that an expensive part is not causing a problem. For my truck those injectors are about $120 each.

Someone I respect menitoned this company for injector testing.

One of my friends won a credit carddispute with a dealer when they started changing parts willy nilly onhis car without fixing the problem. He sent his old working injectorsoff to get flow tested and they were good.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Before you do anything by way of replacement, have you run a couple of cans of Techron (or equal) through the system? The '87 Westie we sold recently had a similar problem on receipt that cleaned right up after the Techron treatment (it took two tanks). And it did then pass an honest PA Emissions Inspection. But to answer you questions: Yes, it would "hurt" if you ever run at full-throttle (such as up any hill steeper than 2%). And Yes, you can get such a switch, either from the dealer (with time), or from any of several after-market sources. I have found

to be very good... and they have many parts that they do not list on their website. I would strongly suggest you call them, they are _VERY_ helpful over the phone.

But check that this is really the problem, and do make sure that the system is clean and otherwise running properly. Several have suggested you check your fuel-injectors... after and if Techron fails, start there.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I know you mentioned in an earlier post about replacing the fuel pressure regulator. Did you also check/replace the vaccuum lines as well that control it? A vacuum leak can mess it up too.

Reply to
Matt B.

By the time you spend all that money on testing/cleaning the injectors, you could have bought new ones and replaced them yourself.

88 VW Fox wagon. CIS. Not screw-in, press fit type injectors. Hard to remove, but doable. Dave
Reply to
Dave

Testing is about $25 an injector. On my truck injectors are about $120 each. OK say $500 for a new set versus $100 to clean and inspect. I am I missing something in the math department? You are correct that some cars do have remanufactured injectors available for $50 each. I see busdepot has cleaned and tested injectors for $50 each.

Reply to
Jim Behning