Fuel Filter

I installed a new main fuel filter in the same direction as the previous one, although it seems to contradict my Bentley. The Bentley wants the fuel going towards the tank.

I've got mine going towards the front of the car. the car ran fine for a few days but I got starvation symptoms again, and no answer here, so I guess I'll turn it around (it's only been a few days) and see what happens...

Reply to
IR

Should be an indicator arrow on the fuel filter for intended fuel flow direction. Use that for a reference. Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

I saw the arrow... which way should it point?

Reply to
IR

Also if the filter was mounted backwards, it should be discarded and not reused. Turning it around will flush any contamination that it had trapped into the fuel injection system.

Reply to
PeterD

The direction of the fuel flow. (hint: fuel flows to the engine! )

Reply to
PeterD

Gas tank-fuel line etc.-fuel filter-fuel line-engine.

The pointy end of the arrow on the fuel filter should point toward the fuel line feeding the engine. The stubby end of that arrow, is feed side for the fuel filter and you know where the gas is coming from, I hope. Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

Ok, thanks everybody for letting me know I'm a complete idiot, one can never underestimate oneself when true humility is sought...

I guess I just need to spend some quality time lying under the car analyzing the lines running out of the tank, in and out of the reservoir, through the filter and to and from the engine. And throw out my Bentley. Sounds like thats the way.

I got a straight answer at VWVortex, but I guess the only way to really understand this is to spend time down under, and maybe try the so far untested 'other' filter direction and see what happens...

thanks again to all the noobs who helped me understand myself.

Reply to
IR

No problem, we aim to please!

Reply to
PeterD

Commonly the gas flow is gas tank, transfer pump in the gas tank, reservoir tank, fuel pump, accumulator (in some models), primary fuel filter, fuel distributor on engine.

There is a filter screen at the fuel pickup inside the gas tank.

There is also a temporary fuel screen at the inlet of the fuel distributor. Should be changed out to non-screen type immediately. Its part of the bolt that clamps the fuel line to the fuel distributor. You're replacing this hollow bolt in this case. Dave

Reply to
Dioclese