fuel pump relay

Hi all,

do the typical VW fuel pump relays fit in a standard Bosch relay socket? Also, which would be the easiest relay to adapt to a custom installation? I'm thinking of adding an electric fuel pump to my Studebaker for several reasons - first, there's something wrong with my fuel pump cam lobe and every pump I put on it knocks loudly, and secondly I took the car for a drive today and as soon as the engine got up to full temp I think I was starting to experience vapor lock (it was about 90 degrees out.) I was going to use a Carter GP4070 or similar if it matters. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Reason I want to use a VW relay rather than the typical oil pressure safety switch is that I want some kind of safety interlock but I can also think of some situations where one might want to not shut off the fuel (e.g. you just dumped all your oil, but you're in heavy traffic and need to maneuver a little to get off to the shoulder without being creamed from behind.) I like the way that the VW relay interlocks with the ignition (would it still work with a Chrysler "orange box" type ignition? that's what I'm running) and also the 5-second prime would be really spiffy for cold starts after sitting a while - no embarrassing grinding on the starter to get the fuel pressure up.

any thoughts appreciated!

thanks

nate

(see, even if I don't have a VW anymore I'm still using VW parts )

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If you are talking about a "standard" Bosch 5-prong relay socket? NO, I think you need a socket for a FP relay. An old Rabbit 1977-1980 (pre-electronic ign) should have your relay and socket attached to the fuse box others may fit and work too for your 12 volt system

Or a Fuel Pump relay from a Type 3 should work. hmmm Are they easy to find? lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hmmmmm.. that could be a bummer. I was just going to order a new relay and hopefully use a socket for it. I may be reduced to using individual connectors, although that obviously introduces the possibility for miswiring if it ever has to be replaced.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What no access to old WCVWs? I am sure someone here probably has that FI Pump Relay socket with some wiring still attached to it! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
Jim Behning

Reply to
Jim Behning

I have two old fp relays and the layout of the pins is just as any other standard auto relay. There's only one small extra (gnd) pin. So maybe you can mod a std socket (drill a hole) to accept a smal amp connector.

SFC

"dave AKA vwdoc1" schreef in bericht news:ONZyk.207$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi145.ffdc.sbc.com...

Reply to
SFC

No, none at all... that's part of the reason I ended up selling off my old VW's, the junkyards around here are worthless (NoVA/DC area) they "crushed all that stuff years ago." i got sick of having to drive all the way up to Delaware to get parts for the 'roccet every time I needed something too large to ship

nate

Reply to
N8N

Well make a list of what you need and post it here! I do! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Do you have part numbers and/or exact years and apps? I just got paid today so of course I immediately ordered a shiny new fuel pump, bracket, block off plate, etc. from Summit :)

Basically I am looking for something that I can use assuming that all I have is a shell of a car, an ignition switch, and a fuel pump - nothing in between :) (which is actually true - car currently has a mechanical fuel pump but I want to ditch it for various reasons.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
Jim Behning

I'm running an Edelbrock Carter AVS clone, fuel pump is a low pressure Carter inline pump (replacing the stock fuel pump for the engine/ drivetrain,) this is a completely non-VW application :) I just like the VW relay better than the typical oil pressure switch for several different reasons.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
Jim Behning

Yeah, this is for my R1-powered '55 coupe. I'm not really asking for hand-holding, just want to know what to ask for. You'd mentioned a recall kit to mount the FPR outside the fuse box for some early Rabbit, that probably is exactly what I am looking for, if I knew what year. ASSuming of course that the corresponding relay still includes the 5-second key on pump run feature. (that's the biggie for me, I hate grinding on the starter just to fill up the bowls when the car has been sitting. And no, I don't like the idea of hiding a pushbutton under the dash, that's just cheating.)

nate

//

N8N

Got a U-Pull-It junkyard? Look at older Audis, VWs, BMWs, Volvo, etc. You should find some relay mounts/sockets. I think even some Fog/Driving lights might have that socket. Also check with your local auto parts stores! ;-)

I had seen a site that listed the different fuel pump relays along with their operating features like the priming feature or hot-start or rev-limiting, etc. Of course I can't find that now! lol

nate

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I think it was used up to and including 1984. These are the part numbers from that web site. One of these should be the base for the fuel pump relay.

I th>Yeah, this is for my R1-powered '55 coupe. I'm not really asking for

blanks.http://www.vagcat.com

Reply to
Jim Behning

That's why I'm posting, I live just outside of DC, there are no decent junkyards of any type. Those that exist consider anything over 5-8 years old crusher fodder.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I should have one.............I will TRY to remember to look in my wiring bin! Probably even have it with the relay still plugged in too! ;-) later, One out of many daves

nate

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If you could hook a brother up I would be greatly appreciative... just let me know

thanks

nate

.
Reply to