Funny noises turning right (Jetta 86)

Hi, our car was making horrible noises when turning right and i think it might be starting to make the noise when turning left too - the noise (grinding, clanking sort of sounds) seems to be coming from the right wheel or at least the right hand side of the car. 'We' (my hubby, I'm actually JohnB's wife) tried changing the right CV joint but the replaced part looks fine and the replacement has not stopped the noises.

I read an old post that says 'noises turning right indicate a left CV joint problem' and he is going to look at that one BUT because we can actually hear the noises coming from the right (sort of to the front and right side of the pedals) I'm wondering whether we're barking completely up the wrong tree.....any one got any suggestions ?? (apart from 'get a new car' which we would if we could but right now)....

...any help much appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
JohnB

It is also common for the bearing to go in the transmission output flanges on those years. They make a very noticable noise when turning & eventually when just driving in general.

Reply to
Craig Williams