Further update

See prior posts regarding VW Fox wagon.

The battery is holding a charge, and obviously, the alternator is doing its job. Car starts fine and quickly, no dim illumination of headlights or any other sign of poor charging.

I continue to smell gasoline when exiting the car after traveling under the hood area. No visible gasoline leakage. My guesses are: Fuel pressure regulator on the fuel distributor. $250 new. Fuel pressure regulator standalone, vacuum operated. $250 new. Cold start valve. $93 new. Fuel distributor. Comes with fuel pressure regulator attached. $500 new. Request suggestions on narrowing the field to a single unit for replacement.

Mileage has dropped from 32mpg to 24mpg. Acceleration and holding its own uphill has dropped as well at partial throttle.

Reply to
Dioclese

First, you should never travel under the hood area. It is hard to see where you are going, and you can be burned on the hot engine components.

Seriously... Round up an emissions tester (one that detects hydrocarbons) and use that to 'sniff' around the engine. That will perhaps localize the leakage area some. I'd strongly recommend not buying new parts unless you know for a fact that the old part si defective--that's the most expensive and fustrating method to diagnose a problem.

Reply to
PeterD

Replies within.............. The year of your Fox would help but if you have a cold start valve then it does not have the Digifant II system. Does this have a mechanical fuel pressure regulator or an electronic one?

Maybe the fuel injectors are not fully shutting off when the engine is off. I have replaced a few under the car fuel lines on Jettas and Audi 4000s In your case it might be the fuel evap system. So the fuel vapors might be escaping through some of those hoses to the engine.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1
88 Fox. CIS-E. Mechanical fuel injection aided by electronic sensor devices and "brain box" for pollution control.
Reply to
Dioclese

Ok I can see it now. Did you look at the vacuum hoses yet? Do you ever fill up the gas tank too full? Might have caused problems with the charcoal cannister. Might be a leak from one of the 5 injectors. I don't think that you need to buy any expensive parts. :-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Vacuum hoses all good. I checked all the first time you recommended it.

I've always maxxed out the gas when filling

I can see injector or injectors leaking by causing the severe gasoline odor if it was external. Its not.

I do need help on the cold start valve. It does not leak when I remove it from its normal location, turn the ignition key to on, and leave it that way exposed to the elements. My guess is that the 5th injector you are being mystical about on this 4 cylinder engine.

Reply to
Dioclese

OK now what about the fuel vapor lines?

Possibly it has too much fuel in the system and gets into the charcoal cannister or vent lines. And AFAIK you have to allow some air to remain in the system.

ON or IN a hot engine, the fuel injectors could leak a little fuel and that fuel could hit the hot engine and vaporize coming out of any leaking hose or maybe even the air filter box. Just a wild and crazy hunch! :-) I will assume that you checked the fuel tank, transfer pump/fuel level sensor cap, all fuel lines, ALL of the EVAP system (hoses, tubes, cannister and ???)

Injectors will have to be check for leaking with the ign on and the fuel pump running (relay bypassed)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

There's only one. Goes to the charcoal canister under the hood left side.

If the charcoal canister was lower than where I top the tank, possibly. But its not.

Have to be a vacuum hose? They are all good.

There's not many places for vaporized fuel to escape the intake and hit the open air, is there?

for what?

for what?

Don't see that anywhere on the car?

Can see the return lines, but not the feed side?

ALL of the EVAP system (hoses, tubes, cannister

Doing that this morning per 2 checks noted in the Bentley, along with a self-developed check for the diaphragm fuel regulator.

Don't hurt to pull the coil wire either among other things noted in the Bentley. The injector leak test in the Bentley is part of the first test, they call it the simple test. No special equipment needed. The singular cold start valve is similar but in different location. Couldn't find in the Bentley referring to the cold start valve as an injector any place.

Reply to
Dioclese

That seems odd that there is only 1 fuel vapor line. There should be two hoses/lines going to the gravity valve and the gas tank. There should be 1 from the gas tank filler neck going to the charcoal cannister, from the CC to maybe a valve and from the valve to the engine's intake system. Not sure on this though.

Have you ever loosened your gas cap and heard hissing like it was pressurized? You would be surprised that the fuel could make it up to the charcoal cannister if the fuel was under some pressure. ;-)

Did you do a vacuum or pressure test on all of the hoses/lines? Or how do you know that they are good?

No not many places but vapor seems to have a way of escaping if it can! Might even be around fuel injector seals. I have even seen intake manifolds loose at the cylinder heads. 8^o

I am not sure where or how the fuel tank is set up in the VW Fox Wagon, but on the Sedan you access the cap through the trunk. >all fuel lines

Same thing, different name but that Cold Start Valve IS an injector! ;-)

Simple test but if that proves nothing, then you might have to get more involved and do a pressure test to see if the residual fuel pressure drops too quickly.

Good luck with it! BRW I still think those fuel lines might be leaking at a rusted spot!! 8^)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Found a fuel leak. Appears to be at fuel reservoir above primary fuel pump. Entire area is fuel-wet, but no drips apparent on ground. Dropped holding assy that holds fuel pump, accumulator, fuel filter (all is fuel-wet). Return line from engine compartment connected at fuel reservoir can be moved easily in circular fashion, but not removable by hand. Got 6 ft. of 1/4" fuel line and clamps to replace all in the area.

Found a vacuum line that has a sliver line opening from end to about 2". Located at charcoal canister. Doing similar with vacuum line replacements. Speaking of that, local parts house sold me 1/4" fuel line for use as vacuumm hose. Really tough to connect...

Charcoal canister clear of fuel. But, the bottom which the Bentley doesn't mention, may be a problem. Disconnected bottom hose. Found debris at the sharp corner of this line which is immediately adjacent to the connection to the charcoal canister. Charcoal will exit the canister on the bottom with a mediocre shake. Stainless steel hardware cloth adapted to the bottom opening of the canister a solution?

Tough to find. Looking for the securing adaptor for the accelerator line to gas pedal assy. It ain't there. Tied off literally with a shoestring now.

Reply to
Dioclese

"Dioclese" wrote

snip

Now that sounds like you are making very good progress since you found several causes of your fuel fumes/leak issue. :-)

Good luck on the Charcoal Canister! Not sure what others do when they find theirs falling apart.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1