G60 Camshaft Cover on an 8V

I was reading about this conversion on Vortex, and it seems to be fairly common. Has anyone around here done it, and if so, was it difficult to do? Do you have any pictures of the whole process? Any issues I should be aware of? I was thinking of doing the conversion onto my Jetta ('90 1.8L Digifant) but wanted to be sure of the compatability!

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

What the heck is a camshaft cover conversion? Do you just this just for looks? Unfortunately, due to the way the PCV system is hooked up, as well as other stuff up there like the ISV, an important ground, etc, removing the valve cover on a VW 8 valve takes way longer than on many cars... plan on an hour or two just to get it off and get everything properly labelled so you can put it back together...

What is somewhat comm>I was reading about this conversion on Vortex, and it seems to be fairly

Reply to
Bob Hetzel

The valve cover is like a 15 minute job to remove. The G60 valve cover has the VW logo stamped on it, and is mainly for looks....It was used on the G60 engine..hence the name.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

If you don't have the plastic upper timing belt cover, I believe you will need that as well. The metal one doesn't fit with the G60 cover as I understand it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Mine is plastic!

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

The best reason for doing this swap is, the G60 valve cover is aluminium (spelling?) and is much more rigid. So when tightening the bolts it pulls down evenly and seals better.

But they look cool too :-)

Rick

Someone had mentioned that TT Tuning has a conversion kit for the valve cover fasteners...anybody know anything about this? I couldn't find any mention of it on their website..

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman