gas smell in old rabbit

I get a gas smell in my 82 rabbit pickup whenever I open a window. I get it from the wing windows and the back sliding window as well. I dont get it from the vents. I removed the headliner a long time ago, so air can come in through there. I patched three leaks on the gas tank and see no more signs of leaks on the tank from the bottom. Ive never noticed the smell when looking under the hood. It also doesnt seem to matter if the tank is full or near empty. It started when I changed the sending unit in the tank. The leaks started when I removed the rusty tank straps, but those OK now. The sending unit doesnt have the evaporative emmisions beathing tube, so I disconnected and plugged that on the motor and leave the tank cap slightly open so the tank doesnt pressure up. Should I just leave the tank sealed and let it pressure up? Thanks.

BTW, I got my brakes all fixed up and am going to get new tires soon for the shaking.

Reply to
thateb

You obviously still have a fuel leak (possibly more than one leak). That is an extremely dangerous situation, especially if you park your car in a garage. I think you should take it to a professional mechanic and get the problem fixed once and for all.

Reply to
Papa

Reply to
none2u

Right. Note that the gas lines themselves also can leak -- they run under the car on the right hand side, IIRC, and I used to find they'd get pinholes: not enough to spray, in spite of being high-pressure lines, but enough to weep.

Reply to
Andrew Sullivan