Gas tank interchangeability for 1990 Cabrio?

Hi folks, Well, the gas tank is leaking and rusted through yet *again* on my wee Cabrio, I seem to recall there being some interchangeability with Scirocco for a few years? I had to replace it due to the same reason right after I bought it used, back in 96 or so, I recall, so it appears to be a weak point. Anyone know what will fit, please? Anyone near E Texas got one for sale, maybe? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
MidgetTamer

There was a recall for Cabrio and Scirocco gas tanks...you might want to check with VW to see if your car is covered...

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Call VW and see if your car gets the recall and if the recall was done..

Reply to
Woodchuck

I'd think that any one from an A1 car after mid-84 should work, so that would mean a Scirocco or another Cabriolet. I'm guessing mid '84 because I think they changed the fuel tank mid-year in '84 (and I seem to recall something about a space-saver spare tire too). Perhaps someone can confirm this?

Reply to
Matt B.

Was that a new tank that rusted out in just 8 years? YUCK!

I believe that some A1 fuel tanks require the use of a transfer pump that is located inside of the fuel tank. Not sure of the exact year VW started that in the Cabriolets........maybe 1987??? My 88 had it, but some of the 86s that I worked on IIRC did not have it.

dave

When Digifant became standard issue, the Cabrio would have gotten a transfer pump...so probably 1988

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Yeah my 1988 Cabriolet was CIS-E and it had the transfer pump.

dave

Yes, it is Digifant. And no, not a new tank in 8 years, we had replaced with a used tank, not knowing this was a chronic "feature", but assuming it was a fluke.

Reply to
MidgetTamer