General Rust Question

I found a 1997 Cabrio GLS with just over 50k miles on it... except that it's about 2 years older than I'd originally hoped to get (I kind of had the idea I'd find a 99 1/2 GL on the cheap) it's the perfect answer to what I'd been looking for... and the price is fair to both the seller and me.

Well, it's located in the midwest, which prompted my father to raise a red flag about road salt and rust so on; I didn't really give it much thought but I asked the seller to verify "there's no rust, right". He's been more than up front about everything. He responded that there's tiny corner on the front lower corner of the passenger side door... and included a picture.

My dad explained to me the general circumstance that leads to rust, about the drainage out of the doors and (I guess) rocker panels being blocked because of ice and salt and road debris-- he mentioned doors SPECIFICALLY.

Regarding Cabrios (3's specifically) that have lived their lives in the likes of Illinois and Indiana, does anyone have any insights I what to expect? I've lived my entire life between California and N.C. and have absolutely no experience with environmental conditions that could erode a car, LOL.

Here's the car itself (passenger side):

And here's the blemish (close up):

I know that it's not a problem someone can diagnosis from looking at a picture, however, I was wondering if this was at all typical or if it should be an immediate sign that the car is to be avoided (such as that "little spot" is most likely an iceberg tip).

If it's only potentially a deal breaker, what is it I need to do to find out? Take it to a VW dealer when I get there for some kind of inspection? I really, really want this car to be the one.

Thanks in advance,

--S. John

Reply to
S John M-M

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I mean that's my question... is it likely indicative of the interior of the door being very rusted already? In that that's what's SHOWING? The NADA retail book value is $8400, and the price we've agreed on is $6900. I mean, I'm aware it's a used 7 year old car and don't expect it to be perfect. I intend to use it for about three years (works out well, it'll be 10 years old and have about 110k on it then... in other words, I'll have effectively used up/wrung out/over used another car... this why I don't generally by new vehicles... the mileage I drive). Anyhow, regarding any rust at all... it's a very progressive problem, right? As in once it starts it's not "stoppable"... OR is it something that if contained will stop (especially considering we live in inland N.C.). It's probably worth mentioning I do NOT have a garage... the car will be parked outside daily if I do buy it.

Hey, is there a mechanic here in the newsgroup that's in Indianapolis, Indiana that wants to make a quick buck inspecting it? :-)

--S. John

--"habeo lacam"

Reply to
S John M-M

I have a 97 Golf that has spent its entire life in Chicago. As far as rust goes, the exaust rusted away in 5 years and was replaced. Then it rusted away in 2 years. That was replaced under warrenty. The engine shows a good deal of rust. The block is orange and most connecters, screws and nuts are rusted. Those have not been a problem. The car has 130k miles on it, has been near flawless and would easily make it another 50k miles or so if I want to keep replacing parts as they wear out. Struts are starting to go as well as the clutch. Nothing rust related.

Reply to
nospam

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I live in Ontario, Canada where we have these problems all too frequently :(. Looking at the picture it seems as the car have been repainted? If true this a bad sign. The rust spot doesn look good either. I bet there are other spots you can't see... Ask if the car was rust-protected (oil-sprayed or something) regularly. Open the trunk and look closely under the floor where a spare wheel is usually stored. Look under the car, better on a hoist and check how solid the floor is. Check metal around the wheels.

/MM

Reply to
MM

If you do nothing, it will continue to rust no matter where you live. So if you are worried, it will need to be fixed if you want to keep it. A new door, or a reskinning is not very expensive. Unless it is just dirty, its also beginning to rust on teh fender where it meets the door at the lower skirt.

Reply to
Biz