Glow plug replacement 92 EcoDiesel

My mechanic just told me it will cost over $600.00 to replace the glow plugs on my 1992 EcoDiesel. I said forget that. Does anyone know of a reputable mechanic that replaces glow plugs for a reasonable price or is $600.00 about right?? He said it entailed taking off the pump and all sorts of other parts/pieces sounds fishy to me but could it be the truth??

Reply to
AlanH70

I honestly don't know how different the eco-diesel is different from my normal

1.6 diesel in my 91 jetta, but I changed glow plugs without taking anything apart. Having small hands and the right tools would make it easier, but it is possible.
Reply to
Tony Bad

The ECHOdiesel is like any other 1.6 diesel with a NA pump. I've owned one. I took off the fuel lines. That made it easier to get to the nuts on the glow plugs. Get extra nuts for the job, the two behind the pump can be difficult. I've done it more times then I would like to remember and even the first time it didn't take longer then a hour. The glo plugs are about $20 US each. (not at the dealer)

Reply to
Jo Bo

Cool...I wasn't sure how different it was than my 91 NA diesel. Another thing that helped me was one of those ratcheting box wrenches (8mm if I recall correctly). When placing nuts on Glow Plug tips, at least on two behind pump, I used some glazing putty or similar to hold the nut in the wrench. My hands would not fit back there to get the nuts on. A good shop should be able to do it far faster than I can!

Tony Bad

I had all 4 replaced in my 95 AAZ Code Turbo Diesel last winter for less than $200 Canadian!

If I remember it was $23.40 each for the glow plugs and 1 hr. labour, plus taxes. This was at the VW dealership. It is tough to get the ones behind the pump according to the dealer, so I let them do it,

DC

Reply to
David Cotie

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Excuse me, it's just that.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I think I'm ok now.

I said forget that. Does anyone know of a reputable mechanic

Methinks $600 to replace a set of 4 glowglugs is highway robbery. Unless it was $600 Canadian which is about $37.19 US in which case I'd have to admit that sounds like a pretty good deal.

There is nothing magical about changing a glowplug. It's just like a sparkplug. You unscrew the old one, remove it, then screw the new one in.

The problem is accessing the glowplugs. If you have small hands like me then the outermost two glowplugs are fairly easy. But the two behind the fuel injection pump are a royal pain in the ass.

My quick and dirty solution to that was to remove the radiator hose flange (I think that's what it's called) from the cylinder head to get access. This is quicker and easier than removing the fuel lines, fuel injectors or the pump itself. But it does make a small mess as radiator fluid will spill out. Remember I did say Quick AND Dirty.

You will need a 10mm ratchet wrench for the 2 bolts on the flange. And an 8mm wrench for the glowplugs. And of course some extra coolant.

I did replace my own glowplugs back in December 1999. I bought them from a dealership for $68 plus sales tax. They were Bosch glowplugs made in France. They've worked perfectly ever since.

Congrats on having an '92 Ecodiesel. I've read at

the 1992 is very rare. Only 47 of them were made. Actually theywere leftover '91's. None the less that's even more scarce than my1983 Rabbit TurboDiesel. Yes my Rabbit is a factory originaly TD, nota diesel with a thirdparty turbo nor a transplant TD from a Jetta. Mark 1983 Rabbit TurboDiesel (183k miles and counting) 1981 Jetta Diesel (60k on rebuilt engine and running strong)

Reply to
Mark from San Diego

I think $600 for a glowplug replacement is a bit much. The most I've paid for a clutch job was about $450.

Reply to
Mark W.

I have replaced all 4 glow plugs on a 92 Turbo diesel in 2hrs and I am a DIY'er. The 2 behind the pump are quite teious but can be done without removing the pump. Parts = $80 can. incl taxes. $600 sounds like you should shop.

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmie

WOW I only charged $145US and I even supplied the Bosch glow plugs for the 89 Jetta Diesel I just did. I guess I need to charge more $$$! 8^o It is a real easy job if you remove the fuel lines to the injectors and use those new small angle ratcheting wrenches like these:

about 45 minutes from start to finish, including bleeding those fuellines too to get the engine running again. Of course that is if all goes well. Oh and BTW you might need to change out those hoses that go from injector to injector too.

dave

parts/pieces

Takes about 45 minutes from start to finish, including bleeding those fuel> lines too to get the engine running again. Of course that is if all goeswell.

Reply to
skydivertu