glow plugs--hard starting 94 jetta diesel

Hi My 94 jetta diesel is hard starting in the morning. I am in Canada and it's usually cold, but lately it has been mild and it is hard starting. It's like it just doesn't ketch to start. It would be the same thing as when a spark plug isn't working properly. I took it to the shop and they tell me that I need 4 glow plugs. Does this sound right? Also, how often should glow plugs last? ?? Cheryl

Reply to
cnewman

I would trust the "shop" as glow plugs can burn out in time.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

My last set lasted about 2 years. They are like light bulbs. How long they last depends on how often they are used.

The last time I had them done they were $23 per glow plug and about 1 1/4 hours labour. About $200 (Canadian) all-in. This was at the local VW dealer.

DC

Reply to
David Cotie

It's possible, but how many miles are on that '94?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My last set lasted about 2 years. They are like light bulbs. How long they last depends on how often they are used.

The last time I had them done they were $23 per glow plug and about 1 1/4 hours labour. About $200 (Canadian) all-in. This was at the local VW dealer.

DC

Reply to
David Cotie

That's interesting. I owned my prior diesel about 9 years and over

100,000 miles in the northern US and never replaced a glowplug. My VB is about 3 years old and it still has all the original glowplugs.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
none2u