GLS, GLI, GLWhat, and GLWhy. Please help me seek a car to love.

I just got my first job working as a web designer here in the Chicago area. But I desperately need a car and I was looking into a Jetta because I really like them, and their commercials target my demographic so well (20+ caucasian male urbanite)? So I need some help deciding what to do.

Here I am at the BMW-VW-Mazda dealership sitting in first the GLS TDI, which is a nice car but finding diesel in the city is rather hard and the emissions rating is a lot lower on this one than gas powered ones. So it makes sense to me that if I wanted to go all green on this car choice, paying more money for fuel is a better one than releasing more toxins into the air.

Next I'm in the GLS 2.0L automatic, which is rather boring really, but it has all leather interior, which is nice. And it's style is very nice; as I really am partial to the VW-Jetta, and it's design. But it's acceleration makes me feel like it's gerbil powered. So that's no fun.

Finally here I am with the Jetta GLI, Manual. This thing rocks my world. There is nothing better than tearing around in this, changing gears like they are an extension of my soul and just generally feeling like I'm playing Grand Turismo 5 or something. And right about now the insidious sales-person is seeing my expression and thinking "cha-ching".

But here lies the rub, now I love the power of the GLI, but it's upwards of $23,000. First of all, my job is going to give me 3 times that per year, before taxes, but is that a smart thing to do for a first car when I haven't even been working there a week yet? Secondly, couldn't I find a better used car for that same amount of money, and if so what suggestions do you have? And finally, being in the city, am I going to get quickly tired, as my parents suggest, of a manual in the stop-and-go traffic? (I think they just don't have the spirit of the cheetah as I so obviously do, but then again I'm young and naive.)

As I reach out to my internet neighbors in this important time of my life, I thank you for your help.

Reply to
DeadWisdom

Buying a new car is tough... that's why I've never done it :-) I buy used (just got a '99 Civic 1 1/2 years ago, and I love it). Anyway, I can't make up your mind for you... but $23K is a lot of money. Seriously consider buying a lightly used car (but that's my opinion). As for the manual transmission, you may get tired of it, but I've only ever had manuals and will never buy an auto.

Anyway, congrats on your new job and good luck deciding.

Reply to
93 Fox

An interesting conundrum. My Rx is a used GTI with high mileage for 10k. The GLI is sweet, but likely an arm and a leg to insure on top of your monthly P&I. then there is parking, and the potential for it to be mangled/sideswiped/vandalized/boosted in an urban area.

SAve your cash for other pursuits. Chicks will dig a flashy GTI just as much, and they really dig getting on airplanes to cool places on short notice (hint: South Beach in late february while you're living in Chicago).

I'd give this a 9 month trial, then you can probably unload the GTI for about what you paid for it should the GLI still be calling your name. Note the large number of Really Old Guys driving sports cars. You can always buy one at any point in your life. But you will only have a brief window in your life to make snap decisions to travel to far away places for the hellofit with an interesting girl you met the day before. And lastly, you might hate your job (that is really common actually) and the more debt you have, the less flexible you can be about figuring out Plan B in life.

Reply to
Mike

If you live in the city AND work in the city, don't waste your money on a car. I lived a few blocks from Wrigley, and I worked in OakBrook, so my commute of course was the pits...and I drove a GTI, so it was a stick. I enjoy stick, so if you do also, don't listen to your parents, c'mon, you probably havent listened to them for years anyway. If you think spending

23K on a new car is a little worrisome, don't even consider buying something used for that kind of money
Reply to
Biz

There's lots of merit in a late model used car. Just make sure you get it checked out by a mechanic first and do a carfax check.

If you're in the city, do expect that it's probably going to be bumped front a rear a lot when parallel parked and your bumpers are going to be scratched up a bit. Nothing you can do about that but just expect that it'll happen. Another reason why a gently used car makes sense over a new one.

IMHO I like sticks better than autos in stop and go traffic as long as the clutch is light, which most newer cars are. You simply use neutral a lot so you don't have to have the clutch pressed in a lot...simple. Plus, it's easier on the throwout bearing (and your leg) to be in neutral instead of in gear w/the pedal pressed. Get in the habit of using neutral when stopped (instead of in gear with clutch in) and your leg and car will thank you for it.

With an auto, youi're always on the brake and the car pulling against you. I find my automatic late model Eurovan harder to drive in stop/go traffic than my '91 stickshift GTI because the EV is always tugging against the brake (and shifting in/out of drive and neutral is *not* good for an automatic...autos like to be put in gear and to stay there...whereas manual cars don't have any issues with going in/out of gear a lot). The only reason I have an automatic Eurovan is that the later models aren't available with a stick...or I would have gotten one.

Reply to
Matt B.

I love having an automatic tranny for stop and go traffic (except for the noticeable vibrations a diesel engine makes while still in drive with the brakes on) but I can definately stand a manual tranny... it's not a big deal at all. The GLI is a sweet car... But consider the diesel if you have some high KMs per year (with gas prices at nearly 90+ cents per litre in Canada, i'm glad i'm driving 67 cent per litre diesel). If the TDI sport Jetta is availible, have a look at it... i'm considering one myself (just don't make quite enough for a $31 Cnd car.... yet, perhaps next year tho).

Reply to
Rob Guenther