Golf 1989 Odometer Problem

Hi,

I've noticed my odometer has not clicked over from 106027 miles for at least 2 years (I only bought the car a week or so ago).

I've seen the various posts on here about taking the speedo apart to sort it out, but would it be easier (cheaper...?!) to replace the whole unit...? I'm looking at the posts thinking it will be very time consuming.

If anyone has successfully followed the posts on here, could you let me know and how long it took you...?

Cheers...much appreciated.

Pete.

Reply to
peyles

Yeah I replace my whole cluster several times, in fact I have one cluster that's been in 3 different cars, two golf's and a jetta. Once you do it once it takes like max 15 minutes, max. The first time maybe about an hour. It's simple really just start taking screws out and pulling on stuff, not too hard though, until you can get your hand behind the instrument cluster to disconnect everything. Then you just pull it out and swap a new one in. Oh and you don't have to remove the steering wheel.

Good Luck, Andrew

Reply to
DruG

It's a used VW thing and if it was a jeep, it would be a Jeep thing.

Glad to see another new guy enjoy his used VW.

Cheerios

Reply to
Peter Parker

It's my first ever car (after passing my test last year and I'll ignore the campervan I had in Oz with my missus for 3 months...!) and it's been ace having it for the past 2 weeks. We were thinking of getting rid of it once it had had it's use, but it looks like it could be here to stay...!

I'm going to attempt the cluster fix this week sometime...just waiting for a manual to turn up and some decent weather here in the UK...!

Pete.

Peter Parker wrote:

Reply to
peyles