Golf 1998 Gear Box Problems

Hi,

I recently had my gearbox reconditioned ($4K) because of a chipped reverse idler gear which had caused other sorts of problems in there as well.

A week later, i was about to shift from 1st to 2nd when the gear box made a loud bang and it started making severe grinding noises. Had to stop cause it wouldnt go any further. Now it has been towed to the guys who repaired my gear box in the first place (they have to fix it under their warranty). But i dont know that it may have wrecked something else in there and that they may try and get out of taking the blame for it.

Anybody know what damage could be caused other than in the gearbox itself?? eg the diff? I'm assuming something broke off in there by the noise it was making. I dont know this either until they give me an assessment of the damage.

I'm concerned that i'm going to have gearbox problems forever even after they fix it (again).

Thanks, John

Reply to
John