Golf 4, 17k miles, synth oil ready?

Hi all. Getting ready for the 1st oil change on my new to me 2002 Golf. 2 liter 4 cyl. 17,000 miles. Are we ready for full synth yet, how long do these things seem to need for breakin? Previous was an Audi 5k turbo, always Mobil 1 fed. Same with my Ducati Monster. All comparison tests show the Mobil the equal of anything out there. Thanks, Bill D.

Reply to
Wm Donley

Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

That should have been the second oil change. My TDI has oil changes at

5,000 miles, 10,000 miles and every 10,000 after. I doubt the first change was 17,000 unless your car has some oil analysis system built >Your first oil change should have been done at 8000km (5000 miles in the US >I believe).

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Why'd you wait so long? I hope you at least checked the oil level once in a while. Yes, you're ready for synthetic oil.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

Guys...he said that the car was new to him...so from that we can assume that it has had it's 8K service and this is the first service that he is doing to the car.

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Bill

The tdi's come wth synthetic from day one. It's possible that the 1.8T might also. Go for it!

Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo

He said "new to him", so persumably (hopefully!) the first owner did a couple of oil changes.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Hi all. Yeah, the car's been serviced previously. I bought it in November, with 16,200 miles on it. I tend to go premature on oil changes, if anything. Just wondered whether it'd be broken in enough for syn oil @ that mileage. Sounds like it's Mobil 1 time. any other tips on these cars'd be appreciated, like I said, they're new to me. Great car. Functional, comfortable. I just couldn't do a Beetle. More room in the Golf,too. I'm a drummer, and need the space......Bill D.

Reply to
Wm Donley

Just be sure and regularly check the oil level; there has been quite a lot of people reporting "high" oil consumption in the 2.0 litre 4 (fortunately I haven't noticed it on mine, might have something to do with breakin, etc).

I just converted my 2000 Golf 2.0 litre over to Amsoil synthetic...I'm at

30k miles. It is around the same milage that I started using it in my '86 GTI. I'm not sure if I'll do the bypass filter this time around (not much spare room in engine compartment to mount it).

Anyone know if the 5spd manual gearbox came with synthetic gear oil from the factory? I had synthetic gear oil in my '86, seemed to make a difference especially in cold weather.

--------- Tom Flynn '78 Scirocco (sold 1988) '86 GTI (sold 2000) '00 Golf 2.0 I speak only for myself

Reply to
Tom Flynn