Golf

I got my golf today and realised I got a few problems with it, wondering if any of you could help me out.

First problem is both doors dont seem to close properly unless you give them a strong push, this is just a little annoying. Would a bit of WD40 solve this?

Second problem is the car is a 3 door, and when I pull either seat forward instead of just lifting the pull thing on the seat I have to go to the other side of the seat and push this catch down. Is there any way I can just make it work so when I pull the leaver your meant to pull it moves forward?

Third problem is the passenger window, I tested it by trying to put it down and it basically did not go down. My first guess would be that the mechanism inside has slipped off because about an inch of the window is open and I cannot keep it closed. But the window trim on that window needs replacing so could it be this?

2 other quick questions, Would you know where I could get a steering wheel from the 1 in the car is massive and I think it may be causing the car with heavy steering! And also I checked the radio in the car and its one of those that just slot in (that you can take in and out) With no wires that need connecting. Would you be able to tell me where I could get Cd player that would work with this?

Cheers for the help

Dom

Reply to
1stSuperhuman

I assume that this is a 1974 Golf. You know they have been making Golfs for a long time. Maybe 6 generations worth. Many people use a floor jack on the corner of the door to jack up the sagging door. You can also adjust the striking pin.

WD40 is more a solvent than a lubricant. I like to use grease where the factory used grease. They greased the locking mechanism from the factory. I have installed new strike pins as the old ones has a piece of plastic that broke off.

I have replaced window trim and door gaskets. I have also removed the window regulator mechanism to clean and regrease.

Massive? Is the wheel three feet in diameter? If so you may want to go to the scrapper and purchase a stock size steering wheel which about

14-16" in diameter. The larger the diameter the easier to turn. You could order a small steering wheel from JC Whitney but then you have to go to Gold's Gym to build up massive forearms, triceps and biceps to turn the steering wheel. There have been users that have reported hard steering that went away when they installed a remanufactured steering rack.

You go to your favorite auto stereo store. You give them $200 plus $50 install fee. In one hour they will have you set up with a new cd player. If you were elsewhere you might give them 150 quid or maybe

100 Euros.
Reply to
Jim Behning