golf auto trans interchange info

Hi- will a 2001 Golf 1.8T Auto Trans bolt to my 1997 Golf GL? And better yet I ahve loked all around for good info on the interchangeablity of these GOLFs. Do you have a gopod website or 2 that has this info? Any good books? Thanks! James

Reply to
james

If it does bolt in that's the least of your problems. You must consider the linkage, TCM, TCM harness, and all the wiring to get it all to work. So my answer is NO!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Hmm. Could you splice the harness in? Aside from that, what years are intechangable? Any good sites or books on this? I found one site that had some info but it was rather limited to engines.. Thanks for the reply! James

Reply to
james

Splice it in to what? The new trans TCM needs information from the engine ECU, instrument cluster and other places. Like I said... not a good idea.

Reply to
Woodchuck