Golf GTI 1.8T MPG

Hi Is it normal ( the dealer said is normal) the low miles p/g with the

2003 GOLF GTI 1.8T automatic (with 7k miles) ? , the best I can do is 20.12 mpg in the city and on the high way, and with A/C is ~ 18,5 to 19 mpg. tnx Sahlui
Reply to
golf

Even if you are talking in US gallons it doesn't sound right (unless you are trying to average 120mph!)

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

I have 2003 GTI 1.8T stickshift with approx. 24,000mi (38000km). The best I have ever got highway, 100-120kph (60-75mph) is 39mpg (Imperial) or a little over 32mpg(US)

I don't commute in the car so I have no city-only driving to compare, but on mixed town/hwy driving I usually get 35mpg(Imp) or about

29mpg(US)

The first several thousand miles my mileage was about 3-4mpg worse. You should (should) find an improvement sometime after about 5,000mi but as late as 10,000mi. (It took awhile for mine to improve).

This is a little bit of an apples vs. oranges thing as it is auto vs, stick, but I believe the official rating for the 2 models is the same

41mpg(Imp.) or 34mpg(US) Highway driving.

I drive "fairly aggressively", depending on traffic, shifting anywhere between 3,000-5,000rpm (and often at the redline. No need to, it is just FUN).

Driving gently does not seem to improve my mileage, yours may vary.

In the two years I have had the car, the A/C has been on for a total of 5-10 minutes. (Hey, I'm in Ontario, I'd normally be scraping ice off right now). Actually, my A/C is the roof always open and the windows usually, so that is probably good for a mile or two worse mileage just there. In the summer there is always a bike rack on top. All these will mess with your mileage.

So, put a few more miles on it and things should improve (and as one other poster here says: "Drive it like you stole it". It IS a GTI!

(All conversions Imperial-to-metric are approximate).

Glen McLean - Ottawa

'87 Jetta GLI, '97 Golf CL, '03 GTI

(Remove the ".NIT.invalid" from the end of my address)

Reply to
Glen McLean