Golf keeps stalling, mechanics can't find problem

Threaded View
I have a 96 Golf, 2.0L gas engine, that occasionally loses power and stalls,
usually in stop & go traffic.  It is throwing the code P0134, which is for
an oxygen sensor not responding.

Both O2 sensors have been replaced twice in the past year.  The car has
received new wires, plugs, distributor cap, etc. in recent years.

The first mechanic kept changing the O2 sensors.  The second mechanic tried
a new Mass Air Flow sensor, but same result.  He tested the O2 sensors and
found them to be fine.  He found good fuel pressure.  He indicated that the
computer was getting good inputs but providing bad outputs.  So he
recommended changing the computer.  We had him put a used computer in the
car.  It worked fine for a day or two, but the car is once again behaving
the same.

Has anyone else had this problem?  What are the mechanics missing?  '

Thanks!

Re: Golf keeps stalling, mechanics can't find problem
Might be a bad crankshaft position sensor.
Bad ign switch maybe.  Do you keep a lot of keys with your ign key?
I have changed a lot of bad/defective/weak ign coils on the 2.0l engines but
usually the power is weak and the engine won't restart easily and act good.

BTW The ross-tech.com vag-com tool will probably give you a little more
information than just P0134.  ;-)
--
later,
dave

Re: Golf keeps stalling, mechanics can't find problem

Beat me too it. Our VR6 VW camper had exactly these symptoms when we
first got it. Turned out to be the fuel filter.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Re: Golf keeps stalling, mechanics can't find problem

This is not related to the code, but I suggest you idle the engine
in the dark. Look for sparking. If no sparking, try spraying a fine
water mist from a spray bottle toward the wiring. Note where the
arcing occurs.

Re: Golf keeps stalling, mechanics can't find problem

If your model yr still uses a fuel relay on the fuse panel try
replacing that. It's fairly inexpensive and solved a similar problem
for me. The relay would just drop out and then after a few attempts it
would restart.