Golf maintenance and brakes

I own a 2002 Golf diesel, 4dr, auto, 55k, washed daily in winter, 2x weekly rest of time, detailed 2x/yr and dealer does all recommended work.

At 50k service, and for state safety inspection at 53k, dealer found no indication of any brake issues or concerns.

At 55k brake indicator light came on. Car driven directly to dealer, who charged $600 to replace disc assembly including rotors.

Dealer says rust on inside WAS seen at 50k and 53k service visits, but no indication of brake pad wear. Dealer says a pin inside the assembly, not visible without taking the brakes apart, caused rotor damage. Dealer also indicates this is a not uncommon. Dealer says that had pads been replaced at 50k the problem would not have been discovered.

Makes me wonder what purpose of the service and check ups is. Just bad luck on my part, did dealer err and is selling me a bill of goods or what?

Any advice appreciated.

Reply to
davidcay

No advice here , a thought though , if at both 50 and 53 k miles something was noted ( rust ) then to be told it's not an uncommon problem and then replacement someone is missing the ball.

Reply to
samstone

Reply to
walter.wpg

I live in Rochester NY, wash is commercial, with undercarriage wash each day in winter. So, yes, I pamper my cars, which is why even my 2000 Honda Odyssey looks new.

What I want to know whether this was just bad luck, bad service by dealer (including whether the dealer should antiicipate such a problem), a VW design flaw (in which case what should dealer have done, if anything), or what. And if the dealer did err what my options are,

Reply to
davidcay

What I want to know whether this was just bad luck,

*** 55K on brakes, you done well! Things just wearout and break at times.

bad service by dealer (including whether the dealer should antiicipate such a problem),

*** Would be great if we could see into the future?

a VW design flaw (in which case what should dealer have done, if anything), or what. And if the dealer did err what my options are,

*** sounds like your dealer is upfront and honest.
Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
davidcay