Golf Mk4 GTI 1.8t Grinding noise at full right lock

Hi guys,

I'm looking at a 2001 Golf Mk4 1.8t GTI as a potential buyer but have concern about grinding noise from Offside / Right side front wheel area. Noise can be heard when steering is near full right lock and only happens to the right and not the left. The car has been lowered (40mm) by current owner and has 19" alloys fitted although I'm sure it's not the wheels rubbing on the arches. One theory I've heard is that it's the drive-shaft rubbing on the anti-roll/sway bar. If this is the case, how serious is this given that it happens only when near full lock. Also, what can be done to remedy the problem? Would be grateful for any helpful advice before parting with hard earned cash for otherwise perfect looking motor.

Cheers!

Reply to
Stevo

Have you checked the cv joints? Sounds like you might be missing some ball bearings in the right outer joint.

-Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Reply to
none2u

Hmm, I drove a lowered '84 Scirocco every day for years and many thousands of miles, I rebuilt the whole front end at the time that I got the car and nothing failed subsequently... I did end up replacing the motor mounts but hey, it had over 180K miles on it... GF still has a '90 Corrado G60 with Neuspeed springs and drives it every day... although she has torn up a few motor mounts (I attribute this to driving style) again all front end components are the ones that I put on there when she first got the car years ago and AFAIR only one inner CV has ever been replaced since she got it.

That said, any kind of grinding/rubbing noise would concern me; have you had the car up on a lift to see if you can see any shiny spots?

nate

n> I would,nt buy a lowered VW of any kind. They're front suspensions and

Reply to
Nate Nagel