Golf/Rabbit MK1 difference Euro/US engine

Hello NG! What is the difference between the 1980 european 1600 ccm 110 HP engine (engine code EG) and the US version. I 've been told the US version has less horsepower. Where is the difference im the engine? I'm asking because a friend has imported a US car. He wants the horsepower to be like the european ones...

Greetings from Denmark Michael

Reply to
DerGolf

Michael:

A couple of things:

a) US gasoline is typically between 87 & 93 octane. Euro gasoline, even accounting for the differing measurement standards, runs from 91

- 100 octane. Accordingly, Euro engines typically have a higher compression ratio than similar US engines.

b) US engines have to meet stringent pollution requirements, typically then and still more stringent than Euro standards. This affects engine timing, mixture ratios, operating temperatures and so forth.

Cutting to the chase: Your friend may make some simple changes and some very expensive changes to overcome these differences *IF POSSIBLE* and if he is a very good mechanic.

  1. He may be able to change the CPU (if applicable) to alter engine timing and mixture to get more horsepower - as I remember 1980 gasoline engines had a mechanical fuel injection system (CIS??) so this might not apply anyway. I have no clue whether this is practical or possible even on EFI VWs.
  2. He may be able to shave the head some to increase the compression ratio - and also make sure that there is no interference as a result. A very "iffy" proposition.
  3. He may be able to remove/alter some of the emissions equipment. I do not know what standards apply in Europe (or Denmark) on that sort of alteration.
  4. Just the better gasoline may give some additional horsepower, albeit slight.

And he should remember that this is a 28 year old vehicle. He should be happy enough that it is running and worth importing...

As I remember also, the US versions of some of these engines had problematic valve-guide seals and were subject to a recall. If this applies to his engine, he should be sure it was done.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I think I heard that it is not just some small modifications but actually a lot of modifications.

OK your friend ;-) gets the European power out of the engine. The transmission gearing may be different. Change the transmission. What about the exhaust? Ok bigger pipes (is a catalytic converter required?). NOW your friend ;-) gets to take his car on the Autobahn and keep up with the other vehicles. CAN HE STOP THAT VEHICLE WITH THOSE SMALL BRAKES? Yes larger brakes may be fitted to the European vehicles.

What I am trying to point out is that you (oops I meant your friend ;-) ) want a well balanced and controllably safe vehicle.

But if the European engine along with any FI system changes and exhaust changes needed is installed then this should do it. (Engine components like the camshaft, intake manifold and throttle body, exhaust manifold might all be different) I would not be surprised if the fuel injectors and fuel distributor were different too. The basic engines might be the same with the exception of high compression pistons maybe.

Find a European Golf and swap parts over to the US body. ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

good answer!

Reply to
Ears

Don't bother with the NA engine. Too much work. Just throw a Eurospec motor in the car. Other than that the chassis is basically all the same.

Worst comes to worst you could throw an nice 2.0L ABA motor into the car. Mk1 Rabbit with an ABA = LOADS OF FUN!!!

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Yep lots of options AAA VR6 (I think I have seen these shoe-horned in an A1 at one of the VW shows) G60

1.8t 2.0 16valve with aftermarket turbo or supercharger

Plus whatever we don't get in the USA! ;-)

Remember with great power comes great responsibility like being able to control or stop this vehicle!!!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for all answers.... Bye.... Michael

Reply to
DerGolf

Will a 1.8t fit in an '81 Scirocco?

nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

lol Since I have seen a VR6 squeezed into a Rabbit or Scirocco, almost anything can be done! ;-)

But the 1.8t is a small engine that just looks big with its covers in place. AFAIK the intake would be on the radiator side of the Rabbit though, but I am sure that there are some very creative people out there. Remember that the later Jettas, Golfs and New Beetles can have that 1.8t engine in it.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I should have been more specific. I wondered if engine mounts were in the same place! I get the picture: it's a very different engine from the 1.7L.

nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

Is it an easy "bolt-in"...............I would say NO. Is it possible...........................I would say YES!

I would not want to do this conversion!! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Even a girl can do it:

's still a 827 type block with a 02a box so it's not that difficult. SFC

"nutso fasst" schreef in bericht news:hrixk.40915$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com...

Reply to
SFC

A VR6 in a MK1 chassis is like a german version of an old muscle car. Looks & sounds cool. Goes fast in a straight line just don't try & turn a corner at any decent speed. WAY TOO NOSE HEAVY.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

I thought one of the advantages of the front wheel drive is that you can turn a little faster than if it was rear wheel drive. ;-)

The Corrado looks strange making the turns fast since one of its rear wheels lifts up.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I KNEW IT HAD BEEN DONE BEFORE!!! lol Thanks SFC!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

SFC nobody said it would be difficult. Its just pointless to do. You would be far better off sticking in a 1.8T. Same power with far less weight in the nose of the vehicle = less understeer.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Girls can do things I can't (or won't). But given the time and $, I think I could do that. I've bookmarked your enlightening website. Thanks for the link.

BTW, I found some photos of a 2.1L 16V '81 Scirocco S:

nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

I saw a Scirocco tire test photo of a stock '81 with one wheel waaay up in the air. That prompted me to install wide wheels and 205-13 tires that cornered better than 14 or 15" in the test. That tire size is getting hard to find these days.

Reply to
nutso fasst

Wider tires don't help that issue. You are still taking weight off the big tires during tight cornering. you need stiff sway bars to help this issue.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

The point is that less sticky tires slide and the inside wheel doesn't lift.

Reply to
nutso fasst