Golf "Rallye"?

Can someone direct me to a site(s) with info on this model? And was it ever sold in the U.S.?

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Here's one fan site.

They were never imported here like all the really good models.

Reply to
Dave

The VW Rallye is arguably the ultimate incarnation of the original and still unbeaten GTI.

The VW Rallye has permanent 4 wheel drive, Power assisted steering, ABS and is powered by the G60 (G-Lader Supercharger) powerplant, producing in standard form 160Bhp - as in the VW Golf GTI G60 (2 wheel drive only and wasn't available in the UK) and the Corrado G60. With the larger engine bay available in the Golf, the Rallye has a larger intercooler than the Corrado which when tuning allows the Rallye to produce slightly more power - in excess of 210Bhp (Smaller pulley, CAM and re-mapping of the ECU - see the Technical Section for more details).

Only 5,000 were made between 1989 and 1990 (G and H plates) and all were left hand drive - in order for the Rallye to qualify for group homogolation, approximately 39 were original UK vehicles - although there are now many more than this in the UK - mainly personnel imports.

Based on a MKII shell - but structurally much stronger and more rigid. The bodyshell was in two door only with it's distinctive box arches giving away it's Rally heritage. Most had sunroofs - but there are a few around with out - thought to be originally destined for motorsport. The interior trim varies widely, some have half leather, some full, some have electric windows, some have electric mirrors. There are a very few that have Aircon (at time of writing we are aware of two in the UK)

Overall a very well built solid car, handles very well (body roll with the standard suspension - see the Technical Section for Suspension choices) - and stops well thanks to the large front discs (same size as fiited to the VR6 - 280mm). Perhaps a little under powered in standard form - due to the extra weight of the bodyshell (275kgs more than a mkII 16v) and the 4 wheel drive system, but tuning is relatively easy and cheap, (again see the Technical Section) 180Bhp and over gives the Car a much better power to weight ratio.

Really it's biggest weak point is the G-Lader Supercharger, this should be examined after about 40,000 miles - (again see the Technical Section) if this is neglected and the Supercharger goes into self-destruct mode it will be "bye-bye" Supercharger/Engine and "Hello" Mr Bank Manager !

From

Dave

Okay, here's another question: I know the G60 engine sold in the Corrado was essentially just VW's 8 valve 2.0 I4 with a supercharger attached. I was told that the Golf Rallye and a European version of the Corrado had supercharged versions of the 16 valve 2.0, is this true?

Reply to
Steve Grauman

All I have ever seen or heard of was the 8v.

Reply to
Dave

No...it was the 8V 1.8.

Reply to
Matt B.

Okay, now I'm confused. Can someone list any and all different G60 engines, and which model(s) they came came in?

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I'll take a stab at it.

1.8L G60 = Corrado G60, Rallye Golf (?), and some Passats (I believe Canada got some G60 syncro B3 Passats) 1.8L 16V G60 = Golf Limited

There was also a G40 (not sure what size but I'll guess 1.3) in some Polos overseas too.

Reply to
Matt B.

Golf G60 (A2), Passat G60 (32b aka B2, Quantum for you over there), there are rumours of A2 Jettas w/ G60 but I have no evidence,

Yep.

Europe too.

Right.

right.

Stock power was 112-115HP, VW did some speed records (for cars up to

1.3litrees) with this polo, IIRC one was 24hours at an avergae speed of slightly above 200km/h.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Wow really? It found it's way into some B2s? Cool. I always liked the B2s but they were quite unloved over here.

Reply to
Matt B.

Sweet! I would take this weight to HP ratio anyday over the heavy bigger golfs out there now. I can just imagine how this baby would handle. When I was vacationing in Germany back in 1999, I saw a Lupo that had been lowered, aerodynamic kit, wheels and and exhaust zipping around town in Stuttgart.

Too bad these two VWs never made it to the states...

Reply to
Peter Parker